Re: mixers, stretch and fold

Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Sun, 22 May 2011 22:48:44 -0500
v111.n022.1
Roel Wyman <roel.wyman@utoronto.ca> asked:
>I agree with Mike that the Electrolux (Magic Mill Assistent) is
>great. I bought Judy Mayberry's used one a year or so ago and use it
>every week for my challah, as well as many other things. My wife
>likes to stick to her trusty Kitchenaid for cakes and cookies, but
>that's okay with me.
>
>I like the stretch and fold technique and will try it for next
>week's challah. Mike, do you have any modification suggestions for a
>rich dough with eggs and oil (but no milk), or do you handle it the same way?

A KitchenAid is fine for cakes and cookies and occasional small
batches of bread.  It does less well with larger batches, or frequent
batches. Then again, you wouldn't use your Cooper Mini to haul
bricks, would you?

As to the stretch and fold, it has worked for all the wheat based
breads I've tried it on, from bagels to focaccia.  However, the
timings do change.  The dough will tell you when to stretch it, and
how often to stretch it.  The starting point of every 45 minutes to
an hour is just that, a starting point.

-Mike

*Bake With Mike <http://www.bakewithmike.com>*
Mike Avery

A Randomly Selected Bread Saying Of The Day:
Better beans and corn bread at home than cake and wine in the land of
strangers.
- Georgian Saying