Mixers

Andrea Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Sat, 14 May 2011 13:47:21 -0700
v111.n021.4
I've had the Electrolux/AEG/Magic Mill DLX/ etc., since the mid
'90s.  I posted about it on this list about 9 years ago and I haven't
changed my opinion.

At that time I still had a larger Hobart (20 qt) but have since got
rid of it because I no longer do any commercial work as I am now 72
and "retired" other than doing some volunteer classes.

I still use the Electrolux two or three times a week and I have never
had a problem with it.  I did have to get a new plastic beater bowl a
few years ago because a helper put it in my old (Hobart commercial)
dishwasher and it deformed from excessive heat.

I realize that there is a definite learning curve with using the
Electrolux because it simply does not work like a planetary mixer.

My routine is to put all the liquids in first, add half the dry
ingredients and allow the resulting "slack" dough to work well - to
develop the gluten - and then gradually add the remainder of the dry
ingredients.

I think the stiffest dough I make is the Struan bread (Peter
Reinhart's Crust & Crumb) and even with this the motor does not
strain.  I burnt out the motors on two Kitchenaids trying to work
this dough, which was the reason I got the Electrolux.  I also wanted
the greater capacity without having to roll out the 20qt Hobart.

In my opinion it is well worth the extra cost - I have certainly got
my money's worth out of it.

Andie Paysinger
Visit my blog:
http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/