Re: Sourdough starter

Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Mon, 18 Apr 2011 07:25:07 -0500
v111.n017.2
"Jon M. Stevenson" <chefjonms@gmail.com> asked:
>So I am confused.
>
>1. I have a sourdough starter working. And it keeps having that
>brown-gray liquid raising to the top.
>
>Now according to Mike Avery on his site, he says to pour off this
>liquid and do not stir it back into the starter.
>
>He also refers to a site for Oregon Trail Sourdough. On that site it
>says to stir the liquid back in.

I say that if it is a thin layer to stir it back in, but if it is a
thick layer that you should pour it off.  I also say that the liquid,
commonly called hooch, is evidence that a sourdough starter hasn't
been fed enough, or often enough.

>2. My starter is quite liquid in nature. When I first made it, it
>bubbled on the first day and has never bubbled since.
>
>Mike Avery site says the starter should be thick.

If it hasn't bubbled, I have to question if it is alive.  Bubbling,
converting sugars into carbon dioxide and alcohol, is proof that your
starter is alive.  Lack of this activity isn't proof that it is dead,
but it is a matter for concern.

I also comment that some people like their starters thicker and some
like them thinner than I suggest on my site.  I also comment that my
recommendation is intended for use by a beginner.  Thicker starters
are difficult for beginners to work with, thinner starters tend to
work too fast and have too little tolerance.  Skip a feeding or two
with a thinner starter, and your starter is in real trouble.  The
compromise starter I suggest also has a tell that lets you know it's
healthy.  It's thick enough to rise between feedings.  If it can at
least rise to double its height between feedings, it is ready for
use.  Thinner starters don't have the structural strength to do that.

>So can anyone give me info on the best way to handle my starter?

No.

People have been using sourdough for something between 6,500 and
10,000 years.  There are as many ways to use sourdough as there are
sourdough bakers.  There isn't A way to handle your starter.  There
are many.  And they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

My suggestion is find a guru whose advice you are comfortable with
and tune out the babble of other voices and use that guru's
advice.  I am convinced that most people with cookbooks or web sites
have a system that works for them.  However, if you mix their advice,
especially if you don't understand it, you'll only be frustrated.  I
also suggest being careful whose advice you accept.  Newsgroups,
mailing lists and social sites are not great sources of information
for beginners.  You have no way of knowing if the person who responds
actually knows more than you do, or if they just write well.  Also,
I've seen many responses to questions like yours where the response
is, "Oh, that can't work!" from someone who hasn't tried it, and who
hasn't even read the material you are talking about.

So, my suggestion is to find a sourdough guru and follow their advice
until you either achieve success or realize it is time to pursue a
different path.  But don't confuse yourself by overloading yourself
with seemingly contradictory material until you can see some of the
underlying principles.

Good luck,
Mike

*Bake With Mike <http://www.bakewithmike.com>*
Mike Avery
Email to:mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
A Bread Thought For The Day:
When Jesus said, "Man does not live by bread alone," that was
important because so many people *DID* live by bread alone!