Sourdough starter problem

Jim Shaw <jshaw@serion.co.nz>
Thu, 24 Mar 2011 22:15:17 +1300
v111.n013.7
I made most of the bread we have eaten in my house over the last 8
years using a sourdough starter. At one point last year I forgot to
keep some starter for my next batch - I used it all.

Since then I have tried to get a new starter going. I have followed
specific directions from several books as well as just following
common sense and leaving flour and water to ferment - feed it etc.

Each time I have ended up with a starter that bubbles along nicely
but has a distinctly chemical - organic solvent sort of smell. Not
the clean yeasty smell I had before. I have never had problems like
this in the years I have been making bread.

I have made ordinary yeast based loaves without any problems but
really want to get back to my sourdough.

The only thing I can think of is that we had a new kitchen put in 18
months ago and there may be gases being put out by the composite
material in the cabinets that may be affecting it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Jim