Re: Homemade bagel questions

"Allen Cohn" <allen@cohnzone.com>
Sun, 13 Mar 2011 10:42:53 -0700
v111.n012.3
Roel,

You suggest using low-protein flour for bagels? I've never heard of
such a thing. My understanding is that 14+% protein flour is the norm.

Letting them rise 1.5-2 hours after shaping is unlike anything I've
ever read, too. I let them rise longer...but in the fridge so it's
about flavor development, not gas creation.

Concerning poaching time, I would reduce even further: 30 seconds per side.

Finally, it's best to diastatic malt in the dough, but non-diastatic
is fine for the poaching liquid.

I've never heard of the cream of wheat trick before...intriguing...

Allen
SHB
San Francisco