Re: Bagel questions & answers

Epwerth15@aol.com
Mon, 7 Mar 2011 13:20:59 -0500 (EST)
v111.n011.6
Bagel questions & answers:

First, if you have access to a bakery supply house, see if you can
get hi-gluten flour in less than 50 lb. bags.  If not, add 1 tbl.
vital wheat gluten (available in many supermarkets and natural food
stores) per c. of flour.

Second, the dough should be quite stiff, barely tacky & not at all
sticky.  When you think you've added enough flour, add a little more.

Third: See if you can find Peter Reinhart's recipe for bagel.  That's
the closest you can come to real NY style bagel baked at home.

I don't know how long you boil yours, but I usually boil at least 1
minute on each side and then put them in the oven immediately.  They
tend to collapse if allowed to sit.

Evie