Re: Cheddar biscuits

dmrogers218@comcast.net
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:22:42 +0000 (UTC)
v111.n009.1
I had this in my files marked as a copycat for Red Lobster. I've
never tried it so not sure if it is.

deb in Georgia

Cheddar Biscuits

For the Biscuits:

Cooking Spray
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp vegetable shortening, at room temperature
4 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6 ounces grated yellow cheddar cheese (about 1 1/4 cups)
3/4 cup whole milk

For the Garlic Butter

3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley

1. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to
425F. Lightly mist the baking sheet with cooking spray.

2. Make the biscuits: Pulse the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt
in a food processor. Add the shortening dough and pulse until
combined. Add the butter; pulse 4 or 5 times, or until the butter is
in pea-size pieces. Add the cheese and pulse 2 or 3 times. Pour in
the milk and pulse just until the mixture is moistened and forms a
shaggy dough. Turn out onto a clean surface and gently knead until
the dough comes together. Do not overwork the dough or the biscuits
will be tough.

3. Drop the dough onto the baking sheet in scant 1/4-cup portions, 2
inches apart, and bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, make the garlic butter: Melt the butter with the garlic
in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook for 1 minute. Remove from
the heat and stir in the parsley. Brush the biscuits with the garlic
butter and serve warm.

Yield: 12 to 14 biscuits

Source: Food Network magazine, October 2009

Note: This is a "copy cat" recipe for the Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay
Biscuit recipe.

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."