Re: No Kneed Bread

Andy Nguyen <aqn@panix.com>
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:39:24 -0500 (EST)
v110.n040.6
"Haldas" <haldas@comcast.net> wrote:
>I have baked several no kneed breads and most were not baked
>properly. The bread is moist and sticking in the temperature probe
>does not come out clean. The recipe calls for baking at 450F. for 50
>minutes then the cover is removed and baked an additional 10 - 15
>minutes. The crust is great with open crumb but with sticky dough.

>  Any suggestions?

Try, try again?

:)

Seriously though, 50 minutes seem way too much time to bake covered.
 From my notes of the last time I baked no-knead bread, I removed the
lid after 15 minutes and lowered the temperature to 400F, then after
another 10 minutes, I removed the loaf from the pan & put it directly
on quary tiles & lowered temperature to 300F for another 15 minutes.

My notes sez the resulting loaf has crumb with "not so many holes:
kinda like my usual ciabatta!" and crust "nice, crispy, a bit too thick".

My hydration is just a little dryer than yours:  15.5 ozs of flour (a
tick less than three cups) and 1 1/2 cup of water (12 ozs).

I would recommend more uncovered baking time and lower temperature
when uncovered to allow for longer baking time.

Andy Nguyen