Reply to David Marshall, Instant vs. Active Dry

John Hileman <johnhi@comcast.net>
Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:11:50 -0500
v110.n038.1
Regarding using instant yeast vs. active dry yeast, I only use instant yeast.

I use the same method Mr. Marshall mentions, mixing dry ingredients,
including instant yeast, first, then adding the liquid.  I use a
bread machine to do the heavy work (I don't have a stand mixer).

I find for a standard loaf of bread, just one teaspoon of instant
yeast is sufficient.

Many years ago, I too used active dry, but it is too much work to use anymore.

Regarding instant yeast, I find buying larger bulk packages much
cheaper than buying the small jars at the supermarket.  I usually get
SAF through e-Bay and store it in the freezer.  It will keep for years.

I keep a small jar of yeast in the fridge for regular use.