Re: Pizza on the grill

Guy Snape <guy@snapefamily.org.uk>
Sat, 17 Jul 2010 23:14:14 +0100
v110.n024.3
>From: Judith Mayberry <mayberry@san.rr.com>
>Subject: Pizza on the Grill...like Lois Omdahl
>Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 15:25:56 -0700

>I use a 14" cast iron griddle with the Flay recipe for dough rounds.
>Lois uses a 12" skillet, so we are doing the same thing. I agree,
>the recipe makes four lady-size pizzas just perfectly.
>
>My big problem is getting the very thin dough round off the board
>and laying it in the pan to brown--it looks like a surreal shape
>because gravity makes the dough deform when you pick it up.
>
>Next time I'll try to lay the shaped dough on a floured peel and
>slide it onto the hot griddle. I like it thin and even showing a
>"window pane" thinness. The heat of the cast iron cooks it
>immediately and the fillings never leak through. Any suggestions on
>how to get very thin dough into the hot pan are welcome!

The thing you need is called a super peel (www.superpeel.com) it
works perfectly and does exactly what you need. I wouldn't be without mine.

>I can recommend distributing razor-thin slices of garlic over the
>toppings, and a shake of crushed red pepper flakes (if you haven't
>brushed the dough with chili oil).

I second the thinly sliced garlic + chili flakes recommendation -
combine with buffalo mozzarella (if you can get it) & a drizzle of
olive oil, put them under the broiler until the cheese is bubbling,
then scatter with a good handful of fresh basil leaves and you're in
pizza heaven. For maximum flavour, let the base cook really
thoroughly in the pan - the char is what gives it the depth of
flavour, so err on the side of burnt rather than undercooked.

- guy

(For more about the cast iron pan method of making pizza, have a look
at my site http://www.breadsecrets.com/pizza.html)