Better Than Pizza on the Grill!

Judith Mayberry <mayberry@san.rr.com>
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 15:01:03 -0700
v110.n019.5
There is a definite mystique to doing pizza on your outdoor grill. I
have two Big Green Egg smoker/grills, and the pizza on a raised grid
in them is delicious. But I've found a method of making them that is
far simpler and to my mind absolutely the equal of pizza-oven pizzas.

It started when I was in Costco and looked at Mario Batali's new
book. He describes the pizzas made in his restaurant as all made on
cast iron griddles.  He sells his own enameled two-handled griddles
for about $70, and reader reviews on the websites that sell them
often complain that the handles arrive broken in transit, and some
reviewers mentioned using Lodge's 14" cast iron griddle instead.

I found it on amazon.com for $30, shipping included. It is Lodge's
pre- seasoned Pro-logic 14" griddle pan with two handles. I added two
more layers of seasoning when it arrived. You brown both sides of the
pizza on the hot griddle (Mario says 375F, by a temperature laser
gun, which I had), put on the toppings, and finish for a few minutes
under the broiler, and I'm guessing you could also use a very hot
oven. It is among the best pizzas I have EVER had!

I used the Bobby Flay dough recipe that was in Parade magazine
several weeks ago, and no matter how thin the dough was in spots,
once on the griddle it cooked firm and the toppings never leaked
through. I cut right on the griddle pan. An added bonus is that the
griddle stays warm so long that the pizza that remains on it is still
warm when you go back for more. If you have all the toppings ready to
go you have the pizza ready in a flash.

Judy