Pizza on the Grill

Judy L <bh628@yahoo.com>
Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:57:11 -0700 (PDT)
v110.n018.1
Hi Reggie,

Well, I am going thru a bunch of old recipes, to cull out ones I want
to save.  I found one of yours for Pizza on the Grill --from
1996!  So now it looks like I can ask you the question I have about
the recipe.  It looks like you entered it in your Mastercook.

In this eat-low fat recipe, you ended up baking it in the oven.  But
I have wanted to make breads and pizzas on the grill.  So how would I
do that?  Directly on the grate?  I have a split bbq grille.  Each
side is only 10" long.  I was thinking of getting a cast iron pan or
topper for the grill.

However, I am curious how other people have done it.  Thanks so much,

Judy

[[Reggie writes:]]
This subject has come up several times over the years in
bread-bakers. You can find the old posts by going
to  bread-bakers.com, click on search, enter
   pizza on the grill
in the digest search box, select 'exact phrase', select number of
results 100, and press search.

But we'd be happy to see new responses to Judy's question.

The recipe Judy refers to was never in bread-bakers. It was in our
low-fat list, eat-lf, on Oct. 23, 1996. It came from Good
Housekeeping magazine. Here it is:

                   Pizza On The Grill - Pizza Dough <R T>

Recipe By     :GH, 8/96, pg 116 (Reggie Dwork)
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Eat-Lf Mailing List             Pizzas & Calzones
                 Vegetarian                      Bread-bakers Mailing List

   1                Pkg  Active Baker's Yeast
   1                  C  Warm Water -- 105 - 115 Deg F
   1              Pinch  Salt
   2 1/4            Tsp  Kosher Salt
      1/4             C  White Cornmeal -- Fine-Ground
   3               Tbsp  Whole-Wheat Flour
   1               Tbsp  Olive Oil
   2 1/2              C  All-Purpose Flour -- To 3 1/2 C,
                         -- Unbleached

Dissolve yeast in the warm water with sugar.

After 5 minutes, stir in salt, cornmeal, whole-wheat flour, and oil.

Gradually add all-purpose flour, stirring with a wooden spoon until a
stiff dough has formed.

Place the dough on a floured board, and knead for several minutes,
adding only enough additional flour to keep dough from sticking.

When dough is smooth, transfer to a greased bowl.  To prevent,
transfer to a greased bowl.  To prevent a skin from forming, brush
top of dough with additional olive oil, cover bowl with plastic wrap,
and let rise in warm place, away from drafts, until doubled, 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.

Punch down dough.  Knead dough several times on lightly floured
board. Return dough to bowl; cover and let rise 40 min.

Punch down dough.  If sticky, knead in a bit more flour.

Makes enough for four 12 inch pizzas.

Well, as usual...I don't follow directions.  I didn't do them on the
grill but in my oven.  I cooked them at 475 deg F for 15 min.  The
dough was probably the lightest and best that I have **ever**
eaten.   I topped one with tomatoes, sweet anise, 1 T slivered
almonds crushed, and sauteed zucchini.  Topped another with the
Mushrooms with Mint and Lemon recipe I posted earlier in the week.  I
gave half of the dough to Sally (my friend) and she cooked them for
dinner with her toppings.

Entered into MasterCook and tested for you by Reggie & Jeff Dwork
<reggie@jeff-and-reggie.com>

NOTES :
Cal  186.8, Fat  2.3g, Carb  358g, Fib  1.1g, Pro  5.4g, Sod  531mg, CFF  11%

This is a bit off topic for a bread list, but here's the mushroom,
mint and lemon recipe.

                    Mushrooms With Mint And Lemon <R T>

Recipe By     : Vegetarian Times, June 1996, pg 90
Categories    : Ethnic                           Side Dish
                 Vegetarian                       Eat-Lf Mailing List

    2      Tsp           Olive Oil -- *Note
    1      C             Nonfat Vegetarian Broth -- **Note
    1      Lb            Mushrooms -- Wiped Clean, Sliced
    1      Lb            Portobello Mushrooms -- ***Note, Or
                         Crimini Mushrooms -- Wiped Clean, Sliced
    2      Cloves        Garlic -- Thinly Sliced
    1      Lg            Tomato -- Peel, Seed, Dice
      1/4  C             Minced Fresh Mint
                         Salt And Pepper -- To Taste

*NOTE: Original recipe used 3 T olive oil...I didn't want all that
fat but did want some of the taste so I changed it.
**NOTE: Original recipe used 1/4 C stock...you might need to add more
if you use less olive oil.
***NOTE: We used Portobello, crimini, shiitake, oyster and chanterelle.
They were truely wonderful!!

This Middle Eastern dish produces quite a bit of liquid that you
drain before serving; save these juices to make a flavorful soup stock.

Heat oil and stokc in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add mushrooms
and garlic; cover and simmer until soft and brown, 8 - 9
minutes.  Add tomato; cook 1 min more.  Stir in lemon juice, mint,
salt and pepper; remove from heat.  Drain and serve at room temp.

Serves 6 (Recipe states it will serve 4 but it serves at least 6
using the mushrooms that we used.

VEGAN

This was absolutely incredible!!

Entered into MasterCook and tested for you by Reggie & Jeff Dwork
<reggie@jeff-and-reggie.com>

NOTES : According to MC using less olive oil:
Cal  57.6, Fat  2.2g, Carb  8.4g, Fib  2g, Pro  3.4g, Sod  153mg, CFF  29.1%