Monticello Muffins

Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:39:35 -0700
v110.n010.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Monticello Muffins

Recipe By     :Jeff Smith
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Breads/Muffins/Rolls
                  Low Fat

    2           packages  quick-rising yeast
       1/2           cup  tepid water -- (85-90F)
    2               cups  milk
    3        tablespoons  sugar
    1           teaspoon  salt
    2        tablespoons  salad oil
    5 1/2           cups  flour
    5        tablespoons  roasted sesame seeds
    2        tablespoons  raw sesame seeds

Dissolve the yeast in the water. Stir into the milk. Add the sugar,
salt, oil, and 2 cups of the flour. Mix with an electric mixer for
about 5 minutes. Add the roasted sesame seeds and work in the
remaining flour. If you have a KitchenAid, do this with the dough
hook. If you do this by hand, use a wooden spoon. After all of the
flour is incorporated or mixed in, knead the dough until smooth.
Using the machine, this will take about 5 minutes.

Let the dough rise under a large stainless bowl on a plastic counter.
When it is double in bulk, after 1 hour, punch down and divide into 2
pieces. Divide each half into 12 pieces and place in greased muffin
pans. Top with the raw sesame seeds and allow to rise until double in
bulk. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until light brown.

NOTE: Sesame seeds can be found raw in any health-food store and many
fancy markets or nut shops. Roast them by placing in a frying pan
over medium heat and cook, stirring, until they are golden brown.

Source:
    "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 135 Calories; 2g Fat (14.4%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
3mg Cholesterol; 100mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : We have the recipe. It was described by Jefferson's daughter
. . . but the explanation makes little sense to me. Further,
ingredients were omitted because the writer assumed that we knew how
the dish would basically be prepared. The following recipe is for
breakfast yeast rolls with sesame. The dish that is described in the
original called for yeast and "setting aside." So this should not be
called a muffin at all. I have also included sesame seeds because Mr.
Jefferson was very fond of them. The slaves brought the seeds with
them from Africa and Jefferson did his very best to get them to grow
at Monticello.