Whole Wheat / Whole Grain Bread

Bill Heffron <wmjheffron@yahoo.com>
Thu, 14 Jan 2010 05:50:24 -0600
v110.n002.5
I believe this subject was visited a year or two ago - but I wasn't
ready to pay attention, but hoping now to get more information.  I
simply don't know what constitutes whole wheat bread vs whole grain
bread.  Many books I reference will label a bread whole grain and
then call for xx amount of whole wheat flour.  Can someone provide a
definition for me.

Along those same lines I would love comments on how bakers are using
various whole wheat flours.  The last few years I have been using
mostly graham flour in my whole wheat bread (about 50/50 with bread
flour), then this past summer I started using a 15% protein whole
wheat flour from Sunrise Flour Mill.  This fall I finally broke down
and purchased some King Arthur Flour - and found it too be
significantly different (4% protein) than what I had been using
earlier.  I'm not suggesting 'better' but certainly different.  Any
comments on this wide range of flours would be helpful.  I like the
results of all these choices - just hope to better understand what I'm doing.

A pet peeve is to present a brown bread as 'healthier', because it is
brown, but it may only have one cup of oats the rest AP flour and the
coloring comes from something like molasses.

Bill