Simple but great Bialy recipe

"Joan and the Butterfly Dogs" <butterflydog@verizon.net>
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:16:31 -0400
v109.n039.3
Been baking for eons, love Bialys and sometimes the simplest recipes
are the best.

Here is a favorite of mine (Don't know the source) from my files.

You may want to try this and then the more complicated ones for
comparison for taste, texture etc.

Experienced bakers can tweak the recipe as they like.

But we truly enjoy this simple bialy recipe fresh from the oven!

Onion Bialy Rolls

1 cup warm water
1 pkt active dry yeast ( not instant )
1 Tbs sugar
Pinch salt
4 cups flour, all purpose is fine
1 large onion chopped
Butter to sauté
Egg wash for bialy ( optional but nice )

Saute the chopped onion in some butter until soft and set aside to cool.

Dissolve the yeast with sugar in warm water till foamy.

Add the flour and mix in enough flour and knead into a pliable dough.

Cover dough in oiled bowl and let rise double in a warm place.

Punch down dough lightly and divide into 6 or 7 balls.

With thumb make indentation in center and form sides with your thumb
(form like a bagel without a hole

Fill center with some onion mixture and brush with an egg wash if desired.

Cover lightly and let rise double again.

Sprinkle risen bialys with some coarse salt and cracked pepper or
even poppyseeds if desired.

Place on a cornmeal lined baking sheet

Bake in a preheated 375-400 F oven until golden about 20 minutes.

Serve warm or toast when cold ( Usually no leftovers ).

Chewy crust and soft insides when fresh from the oven.

Yield 6 or 7

p.s of course have some soft butter, cream cheese, or schmears to
serve with these  :)

Enjoy