Storing Yeast Breads and Quick Breads

"Werner Gansz" <wwgansz@madriver.com>
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 07:36:19 -0400
v109.n035.1
RE: holiday bread question

Reggie, I store loaves of yeast bread (whole or pre-sliced and
divided into one-meal packages), bagels, loaves of quick breads, and
muffins and scones for months in a freezer.  After they are cool I
wrap them tightly in aluminum foil first and then seal them in
plastic zip-lock freezer bags. The pre-sliced bread lasts for at
least a month before coming out a bit drier.  The whole yeast loaves
are not noticeably different than fresh even after a few months
except that the crust is cracklier, especially on artisan loaves with
large holes near the crust.  Even if we buy a loaf of bread from our
local baker, I will slice and freeze it the same way.  Breads with
food ingredients in addition to flour (like olive oil, potato, etc)
will last even longer because they have more moisture.

My wife makes muffins and quick breads and they store the same
way.  We keep them handy for early morning trips to the airport when
there is no time for breakfast and neither of us want to eat the
rubbery pastry they sell at airport coffee shops.

Werner