Lemon Tea Bread

Sun, 06 Sep 2009 01:06:36 -0700
v109.n034.1
I have not made this yet.  It sure looks good though.  If anyone
makes this please let me know.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                               Lemon Tea Bread

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Breads/Muffins/Rolls

                          Lemony Glaze:
       1/3           cup  butter -- melted
    1                cup  sugar
    3        tablespoons  lemon extract
    1 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour
    1           teaspoon  baking powder
       1/2           cup  milk
       1/2    tablespoon  grated lemon peel
       1/2           cup  chopped pecans
       1/4           cup  lemon juice
       1/2           cup  sugar

This has been a huge success everywhere it has showed up.

Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease and flour a 9"x5" loaf pan.

Prepare lemony glaze and set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter,
sugar and lemon extract until fluffy. Add eggs, beating until mixture
is blended. In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
Pour 1/3 of the flour into the egg mixture.  Add 1/3 of the
milk.  Stir until blended.  Continue adding flour and milk
alternately until all is blended.  Do not overmix.  Fold in lemon
peel and pecans.  Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake one hour or
until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove bread
from oven and immediately pour lemony glaze slowly over the top.  Let
stand 15 - 20 minutes.  Turn out onto rack to cool.  May be frozen.

Before serving bread bring to room temperature.  Cut in thin slices.
(This is easy to do, since this stuff is pretty dense and moist).

Serve with butter, or lemon curd or clotted cream.  (I like it best
with lemon curd).

Variation:

Bake it in smaller loaf pans for finger-food sized slices for parties.

* For Vegans:

Margarine works well in this.  I have never tried it with egg
substitutes or dairy milk substitutes, but I don't see why it
wouldn't work.  The texture might be different, but I think it would
still taste good. (I doubt that it would be much more dense than the
original version).

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 244 Calories; 9g Fat (32.8%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
15mg Cholesterol; 98mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.