Cheese Burger Buns

Kathleen <kmschuller@comcast.net>
Sun, 23 Aug 2009 07:32:38 -0400
v109.n033.1
These cheese buns are lovely. I've made them at least four times in
the past six weeks and they just evaporate around our house.  I do
have the cheese powder from King Arthur which the recipe uses, but it
does mention a substitute. If you go to the link you will find many
step-by-step photos and the blog with more details and more photos. I
made them in the Zo.

One time I made them smaller for dinner rolls because I wanted our
company to taste these lovely buns.

kathleen

* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Cheese Burger Buns

Recipe By     :The King Arthur Flour Company
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads

       3/4           cup  lukewarm water
    4        tablespoons  butter
    1              large  egg
    3 1/2           cups  King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour --
(14 3/4 ounces)
    2        tablespoons  sugar
       1/3           cup  Vermont cheese powder -- (1 3/8 ounces) OR
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese or the finely grated cheese of your choice
       3/4     teaspoons  salt* -- (3/4 to 1 1/4)
    1           teaspoon  onion powder -- optional but good
    2 1/2      teaspoons  instant yeast
                          Butter -- for brushing on top

RECIPE SUMMARY: Hands-on time: 10 mins. to 15 mins. Baking time: 17
mins. to 20 mins. Total time: 2 hrs 27 mins. to 2 hrs 55 mins. Yield: 8 buns

*Use 3/4 teaspoon salt if you use cheese powder, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
if you use grated fresh cheese

Soft, golden buns, with the merest hint cheese, are perfect for
burgers (of course), or any kind of sandwich, from tuna salad to
Italian cold cuts to grilled Portobellos.

1) To make the dough: Combine all of the dough ingredients, and mix
and knead them by hand, mixer, or bread machine to make a soft,
somewhat tacky dough.

2) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl or other container large
enough to allow it to at least double in bulk, cover, and let it rise
for about 60 to 70 minutes, till it's just about doubled.

3) Transfer the dough to a lightly greased work surface, and divide
it into 8 pieces.

4) Round each piece into a smooth ball, and place on a lightly
greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Gently flatten the balls to
about 3" diameter.

5) Cover the buns and let them rise till they've expanded nicely,
about 1 hour. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350F.

6) Brush each bun with melted butter.

7) Bake the buns till they're a light, golden brown, about 18 minutes.

8) Remove the buns from the oven, and brush them with butter again.
Place them on a rack to cool.

   Yield: 8 big buns.

TIPS FROM OUR BAKERS:

Using cheese powder in these buns will give them a lovely, smooth,
golden crust. Using freshly grated cheese will make the crust appear
speckled, due to the fat in the cheese and how it browns. For the
prettiest crust, use cheese powder. Cabot makes cheese powder; look
for it in your supermarket, if you don't want to purchase cheese
powder at kingarthurflour.com.

When making yeast rolls or bread, let the dough rise to the point the
recipe says it should, e.g., "Let the dough rise till it's doubled in
bulk." Rising times are only a guide; there are so many variables in
yeast baking that it's impossible to say that bread dough will ALWAYS
double in bulk in a specific amount of time.

Source:
    "www.kingarthurflour.com"
S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cheese-burger-buns-recipe";
Copyright:
    "(c) The King Arthur Flour Company, Inc."
Yield:
    "8 big buns"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 771 Calories; 63g Fat (72.9%
calories from fat); 18g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
376mg Cholesterol; 2193mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
Meat; 9 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0