recipe

"Sue and Sam Hurwitz" <SueSam@comcast.net>
Sun, 2 Aug 2009 07:13:15 -0400
v109.n031.3
Although I have not submitted for a while, I believe I have been with
the list for about 13 years and always read it. It has helped get me
through some difficult times. I still bake, but just occasionally now
- and still enjoy it - as do my neighbors.

Sam Hurwitz

This was originally called a Challah recipe.  I don't think that is
accurate, using wheat berries.  You try it - you name it. I used a
two day biga with this.  I used two cups of water with flour in the
biga, and then added another one half cup as the dough was
prepared.  That made 2 1/2 loaves.  And I used wheat berries in it  -
roughly one cup of softened berries.  Put them in a glass bowl and
pour boiling water over them.  Let that stand for one hour and then
drain.  They are ready to go.  I had some left over and put them in
the freezer.

2 1/2 Cup water -- less 3 T, approx 100F
1 T sugar
1 T yeast
1/4 T salt -- (optional)
3 T oil -- (veggie) -  or apple sauce
1 egg -- OR 1 T liquid lecithin
1/4 Cup honey
6 Cups flour -- (4 to 6)

Prepare biga and work with it for two days - starting with 1 cup
water, the yeast and flour to make a slurry.  For the next two nights
I add 1/2 cup wate reach night  and flour to get proper consistency -
not too thick.  When I am ready to bake, I take this and add another
half cup of water. Mix warm water with all of biga (above) sugar and
a little more yeast.  Let sit 5-10 minutes or until foamy. Add wheat berries.

Add salt, oil, egg, and honey, then mix.  Add (one cup at a time)
flour, and when kneadable, turn onto a lightly floured surface and
knead, while adding more flour (as necessary). Knead no less than 10
minutes.  Place in greased bowl, and set in warm place until double
in bulk (usually 30-45 minutes).  Punch down dividing into proper
size for your bread pans.  Shape the dough and put it in the
pans.  Leave in warm place, covered, until doubled in bulk (once
again 30-45 minutes).

Place in pre-warmed oven - 360F , and bake 35 or so minutes.  I use a
thermometer and when it shows 195F, I consider the loaves done. Or
you can tap the bottom of the load until it sounds hollow.  Also, an
egg wash give a lovely color to the load.

If you are ambitious, you can take the dough for one loaf, divide it
into three strands, make ropes out of them and braid.  It is the same
bread either way.