Jewish Sour Rye

"lhyson@mindspring.com" <lhyson@mindspring.com>
Sun, 2 Aug 2009 17:20:29 -0400
v109.n031.1
I just have to comment on this topic - I grew up on Jewish rye bread
and Jewish corn rye bread (which has nothing to do with corn meal in
any shape or form) and have to say I want to weep when I read about
the additives and powders people are advised to put in their rye
bread to give it flavor.  It's not necessary.  In my humble opinion,
the best rye bread recipe is the one in a book by Helen Witty and
Elizabeth Schneider Colchie called "Better Than Store-Bought"
published in 1979 and which I was fortunate enough to receive as a
birthday gift from my husband.  It has stood me well over the
years.  It does call for a starter but the pleasure of eating it is
worth the time and wait.

The rye bread recipe is in the archives - I'm not sure about the corn rye.

Louise