Where does yeast come from?

"SS main" <ssarge@owc.net>
Mon, 27 Jul 2009 06:11:25 -0500
v109.n030.4
Not sure how to reply to this digest, but here is how you get yeast
without buying it at the store.

I'm new to this but here goes.

The "starters" they speak of are generated by taking flours and water
and sometimes other stuff and mixing them together, exposing them to
the air, which in turn collects bacteria.  After a week or so of this
process, a starter is formed.  The "starter" is named that because it
works like yeast.  It is comprised of "wild yeast" collected on the
surface of the flour/water mixture.  It takes a while to breed the
cultures to the point where you can use it, but that is technically
the "yeast" people used prior to buying the packaged yeast available today.

I had always thought that sourdough was a "sour dough" type of
bread.  Consequently - sour dough starter was going to produce a sour
dough.  Not the case apparently. but I'm still learning.

I have never made a starter before, but I'm currently in the process
of making one.  I"m on my 3rd day and already I'm seeing signs of it
working.  It's starting to bubble which is a good thing.

This is what I've learned so far.........................

Different bacteria are in different parts of the world so starters
impart different flavors.  Even though you can purchase a starter
from another part of the country - once you begin "feeding" it, it
can/will ultimately take on the properties of the bacteria in your
part of the country.  Apparently that is why they tell you to save
some of your original starter (providing you like it) and if your
"fed" starter changes to the point where you don't like it - you can
bring out the original and use that until it also starts to
change.  I guess that doesn't always happen, but can happen.

I ordered some starter from an organization called "The Oregon
Trail".  It's free.  You send them a stamp self addressed envelope
and they send you some starter.  You could google it to get the address.

Another wonderful site for information is the one I"ve been on SOOO
many times lately.  The Fresh Loaf.  They can answer just about
anything you ask.  Lots of photos and lots of recipes.  TONS of information.

There is alot to learn, but it's interesting.

hope some of my limited info helps.
-Susie