Making round disks of bread

WLHelms@aol.com
Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:03:36 EDT
v109.n029.6
Re: Back to bread. What is the best way to make the flat pita bread
into a nice round disk? Mine are pretty funny looking but work fine.

The only way I have found is to start with very round balls, by
rolling the dough between the palms of my hands and shaping it with
the help of my thumbs.

Once I have a round ball, which can take some time because I am no
dough artist, I gently squeeze it down to a round thick disk between
my  palms, and then use my palms to further press it down on the
table. If using a rolling pin, it usually works best if you apply
pressure on it from the center of the disk out.

Here's another suggestion: Try using a Tortilla Press (readily
available from Target). One would need to make a round ball and press
it (using plastic wrap on either side). With a little experimentation
one should be able to press a perfectly round disk in short order.

I also use mine to press dough rounds for my fried apple pies.