Orna Nobles's Quick Scone Recipe

Lorna Noble <ljnoble@gmail.com>
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:09:39 +0100
v109.n026.2
>From: <cubanwahine@hawaii.rr.com>
>This recipe intrigues me, but isn't it a bit too excessive using
>1-1/2 cup of lemonade (between the lemonade AND fizzy lemonade when
>not using cream?

Well, it worked for me.  I use fizzy lemonade exclusively (can't get
the non-fizzy kind here anyway) and have a bottle sitting on the
shelf specifically for scone making as I don't drink the
stuff.  We've tried soda water too, but I think you do need the
sweetness from the lemonade to make the scones taste "right".

>I assume that when using equal amounts of cream and fizzy lemonade
>it causes the cream to curdle...

Not that I'd noticed.  Basically, the oil/lemonade sub is based on
the fact that cream is about 40% fat, so half oil half liquid will do
in a pinch. There are times when I want to bake scones, all the shops
are shut, and I've nothing in the fridge....

>Also it seems as if the dough would be too wet...

Nope.  Not my dough anyway.  It's soft, but it's perfectly cuttable
and bakes wonderfully.

>Can you add bits of dried fruit to this dough?

Oh yes.  We've tried chopped apricots, chopped dates, raisins, and
sunflower seeds (separately!) using between 1/2 and 1 cup full of the
fruit pieces to a single quantity of dough.

Hope that helps.

Lorna