Re: summer baking

"Anita Flanigan" <glasgal@sbcglobal.net>
Mon, 25 May 2009 08:32:38 -0700
v109.n021.7
Reggie asked:  "Do you bake during the summer??  If so ... how do you
keep the kitchen from getting so warm?? "

For many years we have baked pizza on our gas grill.  The grandsons
love to "create" their own kind.  We line the surface with tiles left
over from our 'sun room floor project' and use a thermometer to make
sure it's hot enough.  The tiles will sometimes crack, but we have
used them over and over.  If the spaces are not too wide, it won't
affect the dough.

Last year it was very hot so I tried the same method for
baguettes.  I usually make the dough the evening before after feeding
the sourdough during the day.  Then let it rise in the fridge
overnight.  The loaves come out of the fridge pretty firm and easy to
handle. Preheat the grill (all 3 burners in high),  A little cornmeal
on the peel, and place one at a time on the tiles, leaving space
between for the rise.  You can even spray them to get a good crisp
crust.  Then lower the heat to medium.  They bake faster than the
oven, but then, they are also thinner.  I think a whole loaf of
sourdough might get too brown on the bottom, so have just made
baguettes. Sorry I cannot be more specific, it is cool in California
so far this year.  Next time I bake, I'll post some temperatures and
times.  Actually anything on the grill tastes good!  There's never a
crumb left.

Anita Flanigan