Re: I need some advice about Bread in 5 Minutes

Andy Nguyen <aqn@panix.com>
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:09:58 -0400 (EDT)
v109.n016.1
"Tom" <sail_saba@cox.net> wrote:
>Subject: Re:  I need some advice about Bread in 5 Minutes
>Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 09:59:32 -0700
>
>Lately, I make 2 loaves a week using this method.  This dough is
>very wet, so wet you don't "handle" it like a more traditional dough.
>[...]
>I use a technique where after the 18-24 hour ferment, I stretch and
>fold the dough then place it on a piece of parchment paper (about 18
>x 18 inches).  I then place the parchment paper and dough in a
>colander for the 2-3 hour rise.  I then lift the parchment paper and
>dough out of the colander and place the whole thing in my preheated
>vessel, cover and bake.

That's exactly what I do as well:  use parchment paper.  But I use a
piece of around 8x8.  I just need enough "non-stickness" to be able
to move the chunk of dough.

"Schmitt, Barbara E." <BSchmitt@goulstonstorrs.com> wrote:
>Subject: moving bread from peel to stone; another question on 5 minute
>Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:02:17 -0400
>
>Lynn noted that she had difficulty moving the bread dough from the
>peel to the stone in the oven.  I have never mastered this either --
>but if you put parchment paper under the dough, you can slide it,
>paper and all, right onto the stone.

That's what I do for French bread.  I fold parchment paper into a
kind of "French bread mold", with three "channels" for three
loaves.  I use that on a rimless cookie sheet.  I can slide the whole
deal into the oven.  I remove the paper the first time I open the
open to turn the loaves, at about 15 minutes in.

I find I can reuse the paper for 6-7 bakings before it gets too brown
and brittle for use.

>Then you can remove the paper partway through the baking process or
>(what I do) just leave it there and peel it off when you take the
>bread out of the oven. I know there are purists on the list who will
>be horrified, but it works like a charm for me. :

They can't argue with the result though!

>Now for my question -- I have made the 5-minute basic recipe a
>number of times (and yes, Lynn, I keep the dough very wet; I don't
>so much shape it as plop it).  While the crust is fabulous, the
>interior is gummy, even though (i) I am using all purpose flour
>rather than bread flour, and (ii) I am cooking it to an interior
>temperature of 205 degrees. Anybody have any suggestions?

I used to have that issue too.  I second the suggestion of a longer
bake time.  If the loaf gets too brown, try baking at a lower temperature.

Andy Nguyen