RE: starter

"Allen Cohn" <allen@cohnzone.com>
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 00:30:51 -0700
v109.n012.2
Yes, it's not "necessary" to feed your starter regularly...but to
create the very best results you should.

If one really wants to perfect a recipe and procedure for a
particular bread, then you should measure and optimize every
variable:  amount of each ingredient, temperature of dough,
temperature of oven, mixing speeds and times, folds, fermentation
time, proofing time, etc. The more you measure and control, the more
consistent your results will be. (And, as you can imagine,
consistency is vital in a professional bakery.

Following this same logic, if you're trying to optimize your
sourdough bread then you want your starter to be in the same
condition each time you use it. That means you'll refresh it with
precise amounts of water and flour, control the temperature, and
ferment it for precise amounts of time before use in the bread.

I'm not thrilled about "wasting" flour by throwing out the unneeded
starter... But I bough some Gold Medal flour on special for $2/5 lbs.
bag. I use 6 oz. of flour each time I refresh the starter. $2 *6
oz/80 oz = $0.15 for each refreshment cycle. So it's not that
extravagant a waste.

Allen
SHB
San Francisco