Re: old starter

"Mary Fisher" <mary.fisher@zetnet.co.uk>
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:22:54 -0000
v109.n011.3
Jim Krautkremer's experience with his old starter demonstrates that
it simply isn't necessary to 'feed' with flour regularly. I don't
feed mine between using it, which can be weeks apart.

What I don't understand is why anyone throws away a proportion of a
starter. This is pure wastefulness and unnecessary. My starter, when
I want to use it, is put in a bowl with a little flour and perhaps a
little water, then more, then more, at intervals of several hours.
Eventually it will be working well enough for me to use the rest of
the flour, water and salt all at once and proceed from there.

When I come to S&F I pluck off a piece of the dough, about a fistful,
put it back in its (unwashed) original container in the fridge and
leave it until I need it.

I believe this is the way most people through history will have worked.

Wasting food is not acceptable to me. Those who waste food have never
been hungry ...

Mary