Re: Stand mixers

"Brett Baker" <Brett_Baker@charter.net>
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 16:08:35 -0600
v108.n044.3
I would like to preface the following comments by saying that I have
always enjoyed Mike Avery's insightful and informative posts and have
spent many hours browsing his website which is well executed and very
educational.  My only goal here is to present another side of the
stand mixer story so that people in the market for a mixer won't be
adversely biased by one man's opinion.  In no way do I mean these
comments to be belittling, degrading or denigrating but rather to
present another perspective on the stand mixer issue.

1. I'm one of those who was very displeased with my KA Mixer.  After
it croaked for the second time and the cost of repair was almost
equal to the cost of a new machine I stuck it on a basement shelf and
there it sits by it's little lonesome.  Those who have had good luck
with their KAs usually own older models that were produced back when
Hobart still made the KA mixer.  Since Whirlpool acquired
manufacturing rights to KA the quality of parts and manufacturing has
suffered severely.

2. Personally, I don't care to be required to perform feats of
mathematical wizardry to accommodate the limitations of the
machine.  Nor do I like the requirement of waiting time intervals
between uses.  My personal preference is to own a machine that has
the ability to perform any job thrown at it, whenever I want to do
that job, and yet be equally capable of performing other tasks as
well.  I now use a Bosch Concept7.  It has both a blender and a food
processor attachment.  In addition to bread I've done cakes, pies,
cookies and accomplished a whole bunch of other chores with it.  It's
preformed most admirably on all levels.  The reason for my selection
of the Bosch was because it was recommended by the person who taught
our King Arthur baking class even though King Arthur didn't sell them.

3. I'm not quite sure what Mike means when he says that the Bosch
tends to "overwork the dough".  Does it over develop the
gluten?  Does it over heat the dough?  My Concept has four speed
settings and if perchance these problems do in fact exist, they can
be eliminated by using a slower speed.

4. Also, I'm mystified by the, "it's a pain to use and clean"
comment.  Personally find it easier to use and clean than the KA
was.  Addition of ingredients is much simpler with the Concept since
all I need do is remove the lid or just drop them down the feed
tube.  No lowering the bowl and fiddling with ingredient chutes that
don't work all that well.  After use I fill the bowl with hot water
and let it, along with the dough hook, soak for a few minutes.  Pour
out the water, wash it out with soapy water, rinse thoroughly, dry
and store for further use.  That's the same exact procedure I used
with my KA except the Concept has a nice flat bottom on which it sits
as opposed to a round bottom on the KA which is unstable in the
sink.  Additionally, the Concept is more compact and much lighter
than the KA yet it is of a very sturdy construction.

5. Mike also commented that the Bosch sells for $250 to
$300.  Apparently he must have owned one of the earlier, not so
sturdy models.  Although the Concept7 is no longer being manufactured
and has been replaced by the Universal Plus, which has also replaced
the old Universal, the Universal Plus has incorporated the best
features of the Concept and the Universal into this new and
innovative design.  The price for Universal Plus is $470.  A far cry
from $250 to $300.  Just as a side comment, my niece received a
Universal Plus for Christmas last year and is absolutely thrilled with it.

6. In all fairness, I've never used or even seen the Electrolux
machine.  Many have sung it's praises, others have commented that
there is a steep learning curve.  The bottom line here is that the
mixer one prefers is a personal thing and there will never be a one
brand fits everyone mixer.  My advice is do your homework and read
all of the fine print before making a purchase.

7. I conclude by stressing that I am in no way, nor have I ever been,
affiliated with Bosch or any other company that manufactures or sells
any type of kitchen appliances.

And now, I wish a Joyous Christmas and happy and prosperous New Year to all.
May there be peace on earth and good will toward man.

Brett