No-Knead Simple Crusty Bread

"Ilene Rachford" <irach@woh.rr.com>
Sat, 18 Oct 2008 08:06:11 -0400
v108.n039.1
Per Tarheel Bob's request....here's the no-knead bread recipe....

Many, many thanks to all those who replied to my request, both onlist
and privately, for feedback on this book. The experiences ranged from
one person who didn't like the book, to everyone else who replied in
varying ranges of "it's good" to "I wouldn't be without it!".

Based on the replies, I will be ordering it.

I have found the best price is on Amazon...and if you order $25 or
more of items that quality for "free shipping", like other books or
calendars, it makes the entire purchase cheaper than buying locally.
No shipping charges, no tax, no gas money (my bookstores here are
across town), not much time...it's a no-brainer!

Thanks again to all you wonderful people!!!

Simple Crusty Bread

Adapted from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" by Jeff Hertzberg
and Zoe Francois (Thomas Dunne Books, 2007)

Time: About 45 minutes plus about 3 hours resting and rising

1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, more for dusting dough
Cornmeal

1. In a large bowl or plastic container, mix yeast and salt into 3
cups lukewarm water (about 100 F). Stir in flour, mixing until there
are no dry patches. Dough will be quite loose. Cover, but not with an
airtight lid. Let dough rise at room temperature 2 hours (or up to 5 hours).

2. Bake at this point or refrigerate, covered, for as long as two
weeks. When ready to bake, sprinkle a little flour on dough and cut
off a grapefruit-size piece with serrated knife. Turn dough in hands
to lightly stretch surface, creating a rounded top and a lumpy
bottom. Put dough on pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal; let rest 40
minutes. Repeat with remaining dough or refrigerate it.

3. Place broiler pan on bottom of oven. Place baking stone on middle
rack and turn oven to 450 F; heat stone at that temperature for 20 minutes.

4. Dust dough with flour, slash top with serrated or very sharp knife
three times. Slide onto stone. Pour one cup hot water into broiler
pan and shut oven quickly to trap steam. Bake until well browned,
about 30 minutes. Cool completely.

My notes: I didn't use the broiler pan and water....most times I did
spray water on the oven walls and bread during the first 10 minutes.

The longer the dough sits in the fridge, it acquires a bit of sourdough "tang".

I have replaced up to 3 cups of the white flour with whole wheat and
other whole grain flours, including adding 1 T. vital wheat gluten
for each cup of whole-grain flours.

Try rolling/pressing some chopped sunflower seeds on the top for a nice crunch!