Re: stones

Andy Nguyen <aqn@panix.com>
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:46:56 -0400 (EDT)
v108.n035.7
I use six unglazed quarry tiles (each about 6"x6", from Home
Depot).  I lay them on the oven's middle shelf.  I've used one set
for about 3.5 years. They hold up fine.  Also, we have not suffered
any ill health effects, so they're *probably* safe.

I also put three tiles in an old heavy gauge baking pan and put the
pan on the oven's bottom shelf.  After putting the loaves in, I pour
a cup of hot water into the tray and quickly close the door.  (WEAR
OVEN MITTS!)  I prefer doing this to spraying because a. the method
generates more steam and b. I don't need to open & spray several
times (as called for in Breadbaker's Apprentice).

Andy Nguyen