Cinnamon rolls

Sue Hermosillo <sueherm@pacbell.net>
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 07:23:32 -0700 (PDT)
v108.n032.1
I make my cinnamon roll dough the night before, and let the first
rise happen overninght in the refridgerator, then the next morning I
shape and bake them.  But I don't know how much time that gains, it
takes about 3 hours for the dough to warm and do the 2nd rise (that
long time may be because my recipe has 2 sticks of butter in it and
it seems to take awhile to warm up).

I rarely make them, because they're really not the kind of food I
want to feed my family.  But for I usually make them for Christmas
morning.  When I do, I get up early, roll out the dough, then go back
to bed for a couple of hours.

FWIW, here's my recipe:
CINNAMON ROLLS

[Recipe is from the now defunct L.A. Times Magazine, which named a
local bakery (the name of which I can't remember) as the source.  My
notes are in brackets.]

Ingredients:
Dough:
2 packages instant yeast (or 41/2 teaspoons)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 to 6 cups bread flour [or use AP flour with 2 tablespoons vital
wheat gluten added]
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup buttermilk
4 egg yolks
2 sticks very soft butter

Filling:
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon

Glaze:
2 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Make dough (use a heavy duty mixer):

Have all ingredients at room temperature.  Mix 21/2 cups of flour,
yeast, sugar and salt.  In separate small bowl lightly beat egg
yolks, water and buttermilk.  Add egg/buttermilk mixture to dry
ingredients.  Beat well for several minutes.  Mix in butter then add
remainder of flour, kneading until very soft but not sticky dough is
formed, another 5-7 minutes or so.

Do either "A" or "B", following [B is always my preference]:
A  Let dough rise, covered, at room temperature until doubled in bulk
(about 1 hour). OR
B  Put in a plastic bag, which will hold twice the volume of the
dough and refrigerate overnight.

Make filling and assemble:

Mix the cinnamon and sugar.  Roll the dough into a large rectangle
about 15" by 10".  Brush with the melted butter (save any unused)
Sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Roll up from the long edge.  Pinch the edge to seal.  Using a sharp
knife or dental floss cut into 12 to 15 rounds.  Place in a
well-greased pan.  Brush with any unused melted butter. (Can be
refrigerated overnight at this point.)

Cover and let rise away from drafts until doubled in bulk.  [This can
take from 1/2 hour to 3 hours if it was refrigerated.]

Bake at 375 F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until light golden brown.  Cool in pan.

Glaze:

Mix vanilla extract and powdered sugar.  Add enough water to make a
glaze and drizzle over the rolls.

[I very often make 1/2 of this recipe: it mixes easily in the food
processor and makes 6 cinnamon rolls.  I do the first kneed about 1
minute and the next a bit over 2 minutes past the point when the
dough is the right consistency.  When I make a full recipe I make 15 of them.]

Namasté
Sue