RE: thermometers and scales

"Allen Cohn" <allen@cohnzone.com>
Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:43:41 -0700
v108.n026.10
You'll be very happy you change to using a scale!

http://www.cookscountry.com/ did a review of inexpensive instant read
thermometers and found a real winner...but I'm not a member.  Go
there and get a free 14-day trial and you can read the review.

If you want to spend $90 get the Thermopen thermometer...the one
above costs under $15.

I'm no scale expert (I think Mike Avery is, if he wants to chime in
here). I've gotten fine results using a Salter scale (about $40 after
discounts). I've also heard some enthusiasm for the smaller MyWeigh
scales (see them online).

Whatever you get, just make sure the one you get has about a 10-11
pound capacity, not 4 pounds. That way you can put your mixing bowl
right on the scale and add flour to it. 1/8th ounce accuracy is fine.

Allen Cohn
SHB
San Francisco