Oven Temps

Bill Heffron <wmjheffron@yahoo.com>
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:12:31 -0700 (PDT)
v108.n023.3
The on-going discussion of oven temperatures is very
interesting/helpful. I'm a home baker of 20 or so years, who over the
past 2 or 3 years is trying to hone my bread baking skill. My
objective is to produce the best simple bread (flour, yeast, salt and
water) that I can. My final bread is a baguette. I would like some
help please. Currently I start with a pre-ferment that sits about 6
hours, then made into a dough, which after rising about 2 hours is
formed into baguette and sits in refrigerator for 12 to 16 hours.

I have used all AP flour, 50/50 AP and bread flour, and now recently
incorporated degrees of patent flour.

I started at 450 F, but found the bread withstood 515 F (thinking
more was better) so I pressed the temps until this recent discussion.

I'm losing my way!

My oven has convection capability so have tinkered there as well.

I may be totally off base, but what I think I'm looking for is a
snapping/crinkly crumb with miche that has small uniform texture.

Incidentally doesn't French bread lose its definition to say Italian
(or something else) if enrichments are added?

I will greatfully accept any or all suggestions that help produce
good French bread at home.

Bill