Re: Oven spring at altitude

Epwerth15@aol.com
Mon, 5 May 2008 10:37:03 EDT
v108.n018.9
Linda, the lack of oven spring is undoubtedly your oven.  I moved
from sea level to 8500 feet and get a little more oven spring now
than I did at sea level.  I also went from an electric oven to gas
and found that the heat in  an electric oven is a little drier.  Try
putting a custard cup (ovenproof, naturally) filled with hot water
somewhere in the oven when you put your bread in.

It won't create steam, but it will add enough moisture to keep the
crust from forming before the bread has had a chance to rise.

Evie