Re: German Pumpernickel

Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:14:07 -0500
v108.n016.5
Steve Gomes asked:
>Any better ideas for nice dark rye bread? and while I got your ear
>has anyone come up with a way to have ten minutes of steam in the
>oven? I don't want to spray the oven with a squirt bottle. I tried a
>pie tin with a little water and that might work but we need to see
>if anyone has a better idea.

It might not be bad, but it ain't German and it ain't
pumpernickel.  For a look at what REAL German pumpernickel is like,
surf over to http://www.samartha.net/SD/procedures/PPN01/index.html

I've been to Germany, I've had the real deal, and Samartha hits the
nail on the head.  He also has lots of good rye information on his page.

Mike
Mike Avery      mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker         http://www.sourdoughhome.com
networking guru         Skype mavery81230
wordsmith

Once seen on road signs all over the United States:
Are your whiskers
When you wake
Tougher than
A two-bit steak?