Bagels

"Sherwood" <tssherwood@earthlink.net>
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:27:57 -0400
v108.n012.12
I used to make bagels all the time, but got out of the habit.  Maybe
I'll try again.  Anyway, here's my recipe, with variations:

Bread Machine Bagels

4 teaspoons active dry yeast
4 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water

Add all ingredients to bread machine, process on dough cycle.  When
machine is done, remove dough and place on a lightly floured
surface.  Cover with a clean kitchen cloth and let rest for 5
minutes.  Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.  Shape each piece of
dough into a 10-inch long rope.  Form each rope into a circle,
overlap the ends slightly and pinch together.  Cover shaped bagels
with a clean kitchen cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.

Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large sauce pan.  Stir in 1
tablespoon of brown sugar.  Carefully drop the bagels into the
boiling water.  Let sit for 20 seconds, turn, then 30 seconds
more.  Remove with a slotted spoon.  Put on a baking sheet which has
been sprayed with Pam.
Bake in a 375 F preheated oven for 20 minutes.  Turn over onto pizza
stone and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until golden brown.

Raisin-Cinnamon Bagels:  Add 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 2/3 cup
raisins.  Adjust to your taste.

Apple-Cinnamon Bagels:  Add 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 2/3 cup dried
chopped apples.

Blueberry, Cranberry or Cherry Bagels:  Add 2/3 cup dried
blueberries, cranberries or cherries.  If desired, add 1/2 teaspoon
almond extract.