Reviving Dry Starter

bbnspike <bbnspike@yahoo.com>
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:01:46 -0800 (PST)
HOW TO REVIVE THE DRY START

The Brochure available for download here is a historical
document.  It is a lightly edited version of the brochure that Carl
sent out with starter. The instructions in the brochure work just as
well as they always have. However, with the fresh start that we are
sending out, we have found that potato starch, from potato water or
dry granules, and sugar are not necessary to reconstitute the
starter.  Plain white flour and water will do just fine.

Following is a method to revive the start that I like better than the
one detailed in the brochure:

Get a small container.  Begin with one tablespoon of lukewarm water,
stir in 1/2 teaspoon of your starter and let stand for a few minutes
to soften the start granules. Then mix in one tablespoon of flour.
Depending on the flour, you may need to add an additional teaspoon or
two of water. You want the mixture to be like a thin pancake
batter.  When the mixture gets bubbly, put it in a little larger
container.  Then stir in 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup of flour.  When
that mix rises up add 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of flour.  When
this bubbles up, you will have about one cup of very active starter
that is ready for use or storage in your refrigerator.

The time between refreshments will depend mainly on temperature. You
can expect the first sign of starter activity to take from four to 12 hours.

Tips:

* I use the baby formula wrist test to judge the temperature of the
water.  A few drops on your wrist should feel neither warm nor cold.

* A baby food jar and an 18-ounce peanut butter jar work well for the
small and large containers.

* Established starter will do fine in any room temperature that is
comfortable for humans.  Warmer room temperature is helpful when
reviving start, but do not go over 85F if at all possible.  Cooler
temperatures just extend the time required.  If room temperature is
under 68F, I find a warmer spot such as the top of my refrigerator or
a cold oven with the light on.

* Vigorous stirring of the mixture from time to time will slightly
shorten the time between growth stages, but is not necessary for
success.  I use this method to test start before shipping and just
stir enough to mix the ingredients.

Regarding the vinegar "kick", and the use of dry yeast in a few of
the recipes Carl transcribed, we don't do it, but heck, it might work for you.

Good luck with your sourdough,

"Carlos" October 19, 2003

Barb in Ocala, Florida