re: Canadian Bread

"Paddy Lanthier" <lantoc@sympatico.ca>
Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:32:10 -0500
v108.n002.3
Hi,

Your man would probably be making White Bread from Ontario, and I can
give you a recipe if you'd like.  I'd love to know the length of the
play, and how you're going to have him working with bread
throughout.  Have some rising in a bowl, to be punched down and
shaped?  Or have a dough ready to be kneaded, then put into a bowl
for rising?  He might be using milk in his bread, living on a farm,
or he might be making a water bread, similar to the ones I watched
them making in Upper Canada Village.  Either way, he would be using
bread pans (loaf pans), none of this fancy free-form baguette or
boule stuff for a 1972 Ontario farm.  If you need any more research
done, I'd be glad to help as I know the author of the now
out-of-print Great Canadian Bread Book, and I know she would be fascinated.

Paddy.