Re: substitute for soybeans

debunix <debunix@well.com>
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:28:04 -0800
v107.n038.5
>Is it possible to substitute garbanzo beans or another kind of dried
>bean for soybeans in bread?

Yes.  I've got at least one traditional recipe from greece that uses
garbanzos as part of a sourdough starter, giving the final bread a
moderate portion of the beans.  I've had a lot of trouble with
getting the starter right, but the flavor has been amazing and the
texture, while a little heavy as a result of the starter issues, has
been a very fine but uniform crumb.

Garbanzos have less fat than soybeans, but otherwise should be a
pretty straightforward substitution.

I generally prefer to eat them with my bread, however, as hummus.

--diane in los angeles

http://www.well.com/user/debunix/recipes/FoodPages.html