"Gummy" No-Knead Bread:

Gloria J Martin <ggmartin2@juno.com>
Sat, 8 Dec 2007 11:30:02 -0600
v107.n036.3
I've made a number of loaves, and for some reason have not had the
gummy problem. I have a suggestion. I first heard this on an old
Julia Child show. It was not the same bread recipe, but might very
well work with this too. I will try this myself on the next loaf I
make, just for security: When the loaf is supposed to be finished,
remove from the oven, and remove from the container, turn upside down
and stick an instant read thermometer in the bottom, going up to what
you guess is the middle of the loaf. Give it a little more than an
"instant" , and check the temperature. Julia said the bread temp
should read 190 F when done. Others I've heard say, 200 F. If your
bread does not reach that high, then put the loaf back in the oven,
out of the pan and bake it a little longer, then check it again.

This really is a help if you forget to set a timer sometime---you can
estimate how long you have, and then check your estimate with a thermometer.

Gloria Martin