more no knead recipes

Paul <paulzjoh@mtnhome.com>
Sat, 08 Dec 2007 03:36:42 -0600
v107.n035.1
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112700646.html

All recipes are by Nancy Baggett
(c) The Washington Post
Nancy Baggett's most recent baking book is "The All-American Dessert
Book." She can be reached through her Web site: <http://www.kitchenlane.com>

Slow Rise And Shine: Bread Made Easy

By Nancy Baggett
Special to The Washington Post Company
Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I grew up in a baking family. As far back as I can remember, I baked
with my mother and grandmother, enjoying the creativity, camaraderie
and sense of accomplishment that came from turning out cookies,
cakes, breads and pies. Later, in my own kitchen, I carried on their
traditions, loving the feeling of tranquillity and connectedness to
the past, and the extraordinary fresh-from-the-oven aromas and flavors.

This lifetime of pleasure has convinced me that those who don't bake
are truly missing out, so I'm always campaigning to bring others into
the fold. Cookies, because they are simple, quick and forgiving, are
an easy sell; bread baking is another story.

What with the kneading, worries about the yeast and other muss, fuss
and time involved, bread baking is often perceived as too daunting.
But I'm excited to report that all the obstacles that deter folks
from enjoying one of life's ultimate foods -- breathtakingly fresh
home-baked bread -- have evaporated. Anyone can make well-flavored,
fine-textured yeast bread easily, conveniently and, so long as the
yeast is fresh, completely reliably. As Dave Barry might say, I am
not making this up.

One key to the breakthrough is the "highly active," fast-rising
yeasts that came on the market in the 1980s. Though originally named
and ballyhooed for their leavening speed, the easier-mixing and
-handling properties of the new strains are more important. Those
characteristics make it possible to eliminate the fussy, tricky
"proofing" process, in which old-fashioned cake or dry yeast must be
combined with water warm enough to activate it but not so hot as to kill it.

Instead, the modern RapidRise yeast from Fleischmann's and Quick-Rise
from Red Star (as well as the yeasts sold for bread machines) can be
stirred directly into dry ingredients, then combined with
room-temperature or even very cold water. The upshot: Home bakers
never risk the fate of my son and daughter-in-law when they tried
their first bread -- a pizza dough -- which simply lay there dense
and flat because of the untimely demise of the yeast. "The water must
have been too hot," my son, David, reported dejectedly. "We kept
waiting, hoping the dough was rising a little, but it never did."

The need to knead yeast breads has also put off many home bakers, but
now, thanks to a clever method worked out by New York baker Jim Lahey
and publicized last fall by New York Times columnist Mark Bittman,
kneading can be skipped, too. The cook simply stirs together the
basic bread components, including a minuscule amount of the
fast-rising yeast, then leaves the bowl unattended at cool room
temperature for a long, slow rise of 12 to 18 (or sometimes 18 to 24)
hours. There's no kneading and only enough stirring to combine the ingredients.

Next, the puffy, highly aerated dough -- with its texture-enhancing
gluten somehow magically developed -- is deflated, shaped and set
aside for a much shorter (final) rise, then baked. Because the Lahey
recipe focuses specifically on creating a very crusty, artisan-style
French bakery bread, his method does call for some hand-shaping (and
associated kitchen mess), as well as for baking the dough in a heavy,
preheated, lidded pot. By simplifying Lahey's approach a bit and
adapting a cold-rise technique from Parisian baker Philippe Gosselin
(featured in Peter Reinhart's award-winning "The Bread Baker's
Apprentice"), I've been able to produce an exceptionally flavorful
French boule requiring zero muss or fuss.

I've also adapted the slow-rise, no-knead approach to come up with a
variety of excellent and easy home-style breads, including the
all-purpose light wheat loaf, cinnamon-raisin bread (great for
toast!), butter rolls and hearty caraway-beer loaf. All of these
recipes are flexible enough to fit into most work schedules; are
completely doable for even novice bread bakers; and require nothing
more than a very large bowl, a big, sturdy spoon and a loaf pan,
muffin tin or pot for baking. They also offer the convenience option
of a shortened second rise for those who wish to finish the dough
preparation after work and have fresh bread to serve for dinner.

In traditional bread recipes, kneading is vital because it develops
gluten. The pulling-pushing action continuously exposes new flour
particles to water, encouraging the formation of the strong, elastic
gluten strands that give yeast bread good texture. So, how can
kneading just be jettisoned? Actually, kneading is occurring "cell by
cell," explains Shirley O. Corriher, an Atlanta-based food chemist
whose highly regarded culinary science tome, "CookWise," will be
followed by "BakeWise" next year.

"It may not seem like much is happening, but the dough's spongy, airy
appearance at the end of the rise is a tip-off," she says. "As the
yeast grows and releases carbon dioxide, the mixture bubbles and
bounces the gliadin and glutenin proteins around and, eventually,
they find each other." She adds that the relatively soft, wet doughs
used in most no-knead bread recipes hydrate the yeast cells and the
two gluten-forming proteins particularly well, facilitating extra
bubbling and the hooking up of the gluten-forming molecules.

Despite their names, RapidRise and Quick-Rise yeasts are actually at
their best when employed in a slow rise, which proves that first
applications aren't necessarily the best ones. I put these products
through a lot of testing when they first appeared and validated that,
by loading a recipe with yeast organisms and revving them up with
extra-warm rising environments, you can produce a finished loaf in
about two hours. But often, there's not enough flavor accompanying
the fluff. For the immensely rich, deep, pleasing yeastiness that has
made people crazy over homemade bread since time immemorial, at least
the first rise must be long and slow. The fact that a long, cool rise
also dispatches the kneading is, to mix metaphors, just gravy.

Aaron Clanton, a baking instructor at the American Institute of
Baking in Manhattan, Kan., isn't surprised by my findings. He cites
studies showing that a rising environment of 70 F or cooler (a slow
rise) promotes the development of the acids, alcohols and other
components that give yeast bread its enticing flavor and aroma. In
contrast, a 105 to 110 F environment (a fast rise) encourages mostly
the production of the carbon dioxide that puffs the dough. "If I'm in
a hurry and it's more convenient, I sometimes use a warm second rise
to get things finished faster, but a slow first rise is essential for
good-tasting bread," Clanton says.

For those who grew up proofing yeast, kneading, hand-shaping and
completing the other time-honored steps of traditional yeast baking,
the no-knead method may seem clinical and bloodless. I particularly
miss the smooth, soothing feel of yeast dough in my hands. But I like
not having to clean stubborn bits of dough or a shower of flour off
my countertops.

I also love the convenience of starting a dough in just a few spare
minutes, then coming back many hours later to find it airy, fragrant,
fully kneaded and ready for a second rise. The ability to squeeze
yeast baking into my busy schedule and frequently treat myself and my
family to the wonderful smell and taste of a fresh loaf definitely
makes up for the tactile loss. I always say I'll go back to the
old-fashioned way -- just as soon as I can find the time.

Tip: Storing Bread:

Homemade bread must be stored carefully because, lacking
preservatives, it stales and molds readily. (Unlike most cheese
molds, some bread molds are toxic.) Once the bread has completely
cooled, pack it airtight in a resealable plastic food storage bag or
wrap it tightly in aluminum foil to prevent moisture loss. Set it in
a cool, dry spot, but not in the refrigerator, for up to 2 days.
Although refrigeration retards molding, it actually speeds bread
staling by causing rapid retrogradation, a process that crystallizes
the starch molecules.

To store bread longer than 2 days, freeze it in a heavy-duty/freezer
resealable plastic food storage bag for up to 2 months. Some
retrogradation will slowly occur, but it can be mostly reversed by
wrapping the thawed bread in foil and reheating it in a 400 F oven
for 15 to 20 minutes. Refresh individual slices or rolls by wrapping
them in a dish towel and microwaving them on 50 percent power for
about 30 seconds.

Nancy Baggett's most recent baking book is "The All-American Dessert
Book." She can be reached through her Web site,http://www.kitchenlane.com.

Slow-Rise, No-Knead Light Wheat (or White) Bread

 From cookbook author and expert baker Nancy Baggett
The Washington Post, November 28, 2007

If you love homemade bread but avoid yeast baking because it seems
scary, complicated or labor-intensive, try this new slow-rise,
no-knead recipe. It allows you to make amazingly easy and good yeast
bread with a few basic ingredients and without appliances -- no bread
machine, heavy-duty mixer or food processor.

Nor are any special bread making skills involved; stir the
ingredients together, set the dough aside on the counter and forget
it for 12 to 18 hours. The long, slow rise is vital, developing not
only flavor but the gluten that normally would be produced by
kneading. The next step is to stir the dough again, turn it out into
a loaf pan and let it rise till it's ready to bake. The reward: a
large, light, fine-textured loaf that will make you proud.

The only other key to success is to buy the "highly active" type of
bread yeast and to check the expiration date on the packet or
container to ensure that it is still active enough to use. The type
needed comes dry in packets or jars labeled "rapid rise", "quick
rise", "bread machine" or "instant". Also, don't think that more
yeast is better; use only the 1/8 teaspoon the recipe calls for.

The bread will keep at room temperature for 2 or 3 days. Freeze for
longer storage.

Makes 1 large loaf (14 to 16 slices)

Ingredients:
For the first stage

3 cups (15 ounces) white flour or white bread flour
1 cup (5 ounces) whole-wheat flour (or substitute 1 cup white flour
to make an all-white bread)
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon "rapid rise," "quick rise," "bread machine" or "instant" yeast
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, or 1 1/2 tablespoons corn oil,
plus extra melted butter or oil for coating the dough top
2 cups room-temperature water

For the second stage

1 teaspoon melted unsalted butter or corn oil for coating loaf top
1/2 tablespoon whole-wheat flour, for garnish

Directions:

For the first stage: Thoroughly combine the flours, sugar, salt and
yeast in a 3-quart or larger bowl; mix with a large spoon. Add the
butter or oil and water, stirring vigorously until well combined; the
dough may be stiff. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a greased
flexible spatula. Drizzle the dough top with about a teaspoon of
melted butter or oil; use a pastry brush or your fingertips to spread
it evenly over the dough. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap
and set aside at a room temperature of about 70 F or cooler for 12 to 18 hours.

For the second stage: Vigorously stir the dough until it deflates.
Generously coat a 9-by-5-inch or similar large (1 3/4- to 2-quart)
loaf pan with nonstick cooking oil spray. Turn out the dough into the
pan. Drizzle the melted butter or vegetable oil over the loaf top,
then spread it out with a pastry brush or your fingertips until the
surface is evenly coated and looks smooth. Sift about 1/2 tablespoon
flour evenly over the loaf top. Cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap.

For a "regular" rise: Let stand at room temperature for 45 to 75
minutes or until the dough nearly reaches the pan rim. (The time will
vary considerably depending on the temperature of the room and the
length of the first rise.) Gently remove the plastic. Let it stand
until the dough top rises 1/4 inch above the rim.

For a "quick" rise: Place a microwave-safe cup containing 1 cup of
water in a rear corner of the microwave oven. Microwave for 2
minutes, until the water almost boils. Put the loaf in the microwave
oven as far from the water as possible. Let it rise 30 to 50 minutes,
or until the dough nears the pan rim. Gently remove the plastic.
Continue the rise until the dough top is 1/4 inch above the rim.

For baking: Position an oven rack in the middle third of the oven;
preheat to 425 F. Gently transfer the pan to the oven; jarring can
cause deflating. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the loaf is well
browned on top and sounds hollow when thumped with a finger. Transfer
to a wire rack and let cool for several minutes, then run a knife
around the loaf to loosen. Transfer the loaf to the rack and let it
cool completely before cutting it or storing in an airtight container.

142 calories, 2g fat, n/a saturated fat, n/a cholesterol, 219mg
sodium, 26g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 4g protein.

Slow-Rise, No-Knead Soft White (or Soft Light Wheat) Rolls

 From baking expert and cookbook author Nancy Baggett
The Washington Post, November 28, 2007

These light, rich rolls are baked in muffin tins, which eliminates
the skill and time normally needed for shaping rolls. They don't
require kneading, either, because the long, slow first rise develops
both the gluten and the appealing yeasty flavor.

The recipe requires two 12-cup muffin tins with standard-size cups or
two 6-cup muffin tins with "Texas-size" cups (or one tin of each
size). The standard cups need to be about 2 3/4 inches across at the
top and have a volume of about 1/3 cup when completely filled;
Texas-size cups should be 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 inches across and have a
volume of at least 3/4 cup when filled. You can determine the volume
by filling a muffin cup to the top with water, then checking the
quantity with a measuring cup.

The rolls will keep at a cool room temperature for up to 2 days. Wrap
well and freeze for longer storage. Reheat, wrapped in aluminum foil,
in a low oven (or wrapped in paper towels on low power in the
microwave) before serving.

Makes 24 small rolls or 12 large rolls

Ingredients:
for the first stage

2 1/2 cups (12 1/2 ounces) white flour or 2 cups white flour and 1/2
cup whole wheat flour), plus more for dusting (optional)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon "rapid rise," quick rise," "instant," or "bread machine" yeast
1 1/2 cups room-temperature water
Corn oil or other flavorless vegetable oil for brushing dough top

for the second stage

8 tablespoons (1 stick) melted unsalted butter
6 1/2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons powdered milk
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups (6 1/4 ounces) white flour or whole-wheat flour, plus 1
tablespoon for dusting

Directions:

For the first stage: Thoroughly combine the flour or flours, salt and
yeast in a 3- to 4-quart or larger bowl; mix with a large spoon. Add
the water, stirring vigorously until evenly incorporated. Use a
greased flexible spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Drizzle the dough top with about 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable oil (no
need to measure); use a pastry brush or your fingertips to spread it
evenly over the dough and up the sides of the bowl. Cover the bowl
tightly with plastic wrap and set aside at a room temperature of
about 70 F or cooler for 12 to 18 hours.

For the second stage: Use a fork to beat together 6 tablespoons
melted butter, the sugar and powdered milk in a medium bowl until
well blended. Beat in the egg until well incorporated. Vigorously
stir the mixture into the raised dough until it deflates and the
ingredients are well blended; the dough will seem rubbery. Vigorously
stir in the 1 1/4 cups flour until thoroughly incorporated.
(Second-stage mixing may be completed in a heavy-duty stand mixer, if
desired. Transfer the raised dough to the mixer bowl; complete the
mixing steps on low speed using the paddle.)

Generously grease 12 "Texas-size" muffin tin cups or 24 standard-size
muffin cups, or coat them thoroughly with nonstick cooking oil spray.
Using a well-greased 1/4-cup measure for large muffin cups and a
1/8-cup measure (or coffee scoop) for small muffin cups, place a
scoopful of dough in each cup. Divide any leftover dough evenly among
the cups. Use 2 tablespoons total of the melted butter to drizzle
over all the roll tops. (Use your fingertips to spread out the butter
and smooth each top until the dough surface looks smooth. Sift a
little flour over each cup; cover the muffin tins with plastic wrap.

For a "regular" rise: Let the dough stand at room temperature for 1
to 1 3/4 hours or until the dough nearly reaches the cup rims. (The
time will vary considerably depending on the temperature of the room
and the length of the first rise.) Remove the plastic wrap. Let stand
until the dough rises just above the rims.

For a "quick" rise: Fill a microwave-safe container with 1 cup of the
water and set it far to one side of the microwave oven. Microwave on
high for about 2 minutes, until the water almost boils. Put a muffin
tin in the microwave oven as far from the water as possible. Let rise
30 to 45 minutes or until the dough nears the cup rims. Remove the
plastic wrap. Let stand until the dough rises just above the rims.

To bake: Position an oven rack in the middle third of the oven;
preheat to 400 F. Gently transfer the muffin pans to the middle oven
rack; jarring can cause deflating. Bake about 15 to 18 minutes for
smaller rolls and 17 to 21 minutes for larger rolls or until well
browned on top and hollow sounding when thumped with a finger.
Transfer the pans to wire racks and let cool just slightly, then run
a knife around the rolls to loosen. Sift a little flour over the
rolls just before serving, if desired. The rolls are best served warm.

264 calories, 9g fat, 5g saturated fat, 38mg cholesterol, 256mg
sodium, 41g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 6g protein.

Slow-Rise, No-Knead Cinnamon-Raisin Bread

 From cookbook author and expert baker Nancy Baggett
The Washington Post, November 28, 2007

This bread involves far less muss and fuss than old-fashioned yeast
breads and is flexible enough to fit into most schedules. The
essential long, slow first rise (never skimp on the minimum 12 hours,
or the second rise will take much longer than it should) can proceed
completely unattended during the workday or night.

Because this method skips the traditional, slightly tricky step of
combining the yeast with water of a specific temperature, it's very
reliable. Even those new to yeast baking can succeed on the first
try. The loaf is attractive, homey and sweet, but not overly so. It's
great for breakfast or brunch and makes a fine gift. It's best simply
sliced and served warm.

It will keep at a cool room temperature for up to 3 days. Freeze for
longer storage. Reheat, wrapped in foil in a low oven (or wrapped in
paper toweling on low power in the microwave), before serving.

Note that because of the weight of the cinnamon and raisins in the
dough, the second rise will take longer than for most other slow-rise
yeast loaves.

Makes 1 large loaf (12 to 16 slices)

Ingredients:
For the first stage

3 1/4 cups (generous 1 pound) flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon "rapid rise," "quick rise," "bread machine" or "instant" yeast
1 3/4 cups room-temperature water
Corn oil or other flavorless vegetable oil for brushing dough top

For the second stage

4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
2/3 cup dark seedless raisins
2/3 cup (3 1/3 ounces) flour
6 1/2 tablespoons sugar combined with 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

Directions:

For the first stage: Thoroughly combine the flour, salt and yeast in
a 3- to 4-quart or larger bowl; mix with a large spoon. Add the
water, stirring vigorously until evenly incorporated; the mixture may
be stiff. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a greased flexible
spatula. Drizzle the dough top with about 1/2 teaspoon of oil (no
need to measure); use a pastry brush or your fingertips to spread it
evenly over the dough surface and up sides of the bowl. Cover the
bowl tightly with plastic wrap and set aside at a room temperature of
about 70 F or cooler for 12 to 18 hours

For the second stage: Use a fork to beat together 4 tablespoons of
the melted butter and the sugar in a medium bowl until well blended.
Beat in the egg and raisins until incorporated; let stand for 5
minutes. Vigorously stir the butter mixture into the dough until the
dough deflates and the ingredients are evenly incorporated; the dough
will seem rubbery. Vigorously stir the flour into the dough until
thoroughly incorporated. Lightly stir in about 2/3 of the
cinnamon-sugar mixture; streaks should remain. (Second-stage mixing
may be completed in a heavy-duty stand mixer, if desired. Transfer
the raised dough to the mixer bowl; complete the mixing steps on low
speed using the paddle.)

Generously grease a very large loaf pan (9-by-5-inch or other 1 3/4-
to 2-quart pan) or coat thoroughly with nonstick cooking oil spray.
Turn out about a third of the dough into the pan. Smooth the surface
with a greased flexible spatula. Sprinkle about half of the remaining
cinnamon sugar mixture over the surface. Repeat with another third of
the dough, then sprinkle with all but 1/2 tablespoon of the remaining
cinnamon sugar. Add the remaining dough, then smooth the surface with
a flexible spatula. Drizzle the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of melted
butter over the top. Use a pastry brush or your fingertips to spread
the butter over the surface until the surface is evenly coated and
looks smooth. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar over the top.
Cover the pan with plastic wrap.

For a "regular" rise: Let rise at room temperature for 1 1/4 to 1 3/4
hours or until the dough nearly reaches the pan rim. (The time will
vary considerably depending on the temperature of the room and the
length of the first rise.) Remove the plastic wrap; let stand until
the dough rises 1/4 inch above the rim.

For a "quick" rise: Place a microwave-safe cup containing 1 cup of
water in a rear corner of the microwave oven. Microwave for 2
minutes, until the water almost boils. Put the loaf in the microwave
oven as far from the water as possible. Let it rise 30 to 50 minutes
or until the dough nearly reaches the pan rim. Gently remove the
plastic. Continue the rise until the dough top is 1/4 inch above the rim.

For baking: Position an oven rack in the middle third of the oven;
preheat to 400 F. Gently transfer the pan to the oven; jarring can
cause deflating. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the loaf is well
browned on top and sounds hollow when thumped with a finger. (If the
top begins to brown too rapidly, cover with aluminum foil for the
last 15 to 20 minutes of baking.) Transfer to a wire rack and let
cool for several minutes, then run a knife around the loaf to loosen.
Transfer the loaf to the rack and let it cool completely before
cutting it or storing in an airtight container.

189 calories, 2g fat, 1g saturated fat, 16mg cholesterol, 188mg
sodium, 40g carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 4g protein.

Slow-Rise, No-Knead Rustic Caraway-Beer Bread

 From cookbook author and baking expert Nancy Baggett
The Washington Post, November 28, 2007

Excellent served along with many cheeses, smoked meats and hearty
stews, this full-bodied but not heavy bread tastes much like
traditional rye breads containing caraway seeds. However, because rye
flour can be hard to find, whole-wheat flour may be used in its
place; most people won't detect the substitution. They are not likely
to notice the beer in the recipe, either. It simply adds a little
extra yeasty, malty aroma and gives the bread flavor more depth. If
you have a coarse crystal salt on hand, it makes a nice garnish for
the loaf top, but the bread is fine without it, too.

To quickly "flatten" the beer, stir or whisk it until the head subsides.

The bread will keep at room temperature for 48 hours. To retain the
crisp crust, store it in a paper bag; for a softer crust, store in a
resealable plastic food storage bag. Freeze for longer storage.

Makes 1 large loaf (12 to 16 slices)

Ingredients:
For the first stage

3 cups (15 ounces) flour, preferably unbleached
1 cup (5 ounces) whole-wheat flour or rye flour
1 1/2 tablespoons caraway seeds
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process,
sifted after measuring
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (use a generous 1 1/2 teaspoon if omitting the
crystal salt garnish)
1/4 teaspoon "rapid rise," "quick rise," "bread machine" or "instant" yeast
2 tablespoons corn oil or canola oil, plus more for coating the dough top
12 ounces beer, flat and at room temperature
2 1/2 tablespoons molasses stirred into 2/3 cup room-temperature water

For the second stage

About 1/2 teaspoon corn oil for coating the dough top
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, for garnish
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt (optional)

Directions:

For the first stage: Thoroughly combine the flours, caraway seeds,
cocoa powder, salt and yeast in a 3- to 4-quart or larger bowl; mix
with a large spoon. Add the oil, beer and molasses-water mixture,
vigorously stirring until very well blended and all bits of flour
have been fully incorporated. The mixture may seem stiff at first;
just keep stirring. Use a greased flexible spatula to scrape down the
sides of the bowl. Drizzle the dough top with about 1/2 teaspoon oil
(no need to measure); use a pastry brush or your fingertips to spread
it evenly over the dough surface. Tightly cover the bowl with plastic
wrap. Set aside at a room temperature of about 70 F or cooler for 12
to 18 hours.

For the second stage: Generously coat a 2-quart or slightly larger
souffle dish or deep-sided, flat-bottom ovenproof casserole (or
similar-size heavy, all-metal saucepan) with nonstick cooking oil
spray. (If necessary, check the volume by filling the container with
water and measuring it.) Turn out the dough into the dish. Drizzle
about 1/2 teaspoon oil over the top. Spread it out with a pastry
brush or fingertips to completely coat the dough surface. Sprinkle
the loaf top with the caraway seeds, pressing them down slightly with
the fingertips. Sprinkle the coarse salt, if using. Using a sharp
paring knife, cut a deep X in the center top of the loaf. Tightly
cover the bowl with plastic wrap.

For a "regular" rise: Let stand at room temperature for 1 1/2 to 2
hours or until the dough has doubled in bulk. (The time will vary
considerably depending on the temperature of the room and the length
of the first rise.) If the dough nears the plastic, remove the plastic.

For a "quick" rise: Place a microwave-safe cup containing 1 cup of
water in a rear corner of the microwave oven. Microwave for 2
minutes, until the water almost boils. Put the loaf in the microwave
oven as far from the water as possible. Let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours
or until the dough has doubled in bulk. If the dough nears the
plastic, remove the plastic.

For baking: Position an oven rack in the middle third of the oven;
preheat to 425 F. Gently transfer the pan to the oven; jarring can
cause deflating. Bake on the middle rack for 30 to 40 minutes or
until the loaf is well-browned on top and sounds hollow when thumped.
Remove to a wire rack; let cool for several minutes. Run a knife
around the loaf to loosen, then remove from the pan. Let cool
thoroughly on a wire rack before cutting or storing in an airtight
container. Cut the loaf crosswise or into wedges, as desired.

149 calories, 2g fat, n/a saturated fat, n/a cholesterol, 221mg
sodium, 27g carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 4g protein.