bread machine crusts

<gonzow@nopalmx.com>
Sun, 2 Dec 2007 07:13:07 -0600
v107.n034.1
There were two posts in this week's digest asking about bread machine
crusts.  The first asked for a crust for rye bread.  My response to
that is that I make all my rye bread in the ABM using the dough
setting, take it out, form it into a ball or loaf,, let raise and
then cook in a normal oven.  Gives you the best crust and it looks good.

As per the person who says their friend gets a hard crust.  I
purchased a new abm, it gave a thick hard crust on every loaf, took
it back and got a different model.  solved problem.  There are really
not to many ways to change the crust that comes out of an ABM except
to switch models.  Even different models in the same manufactures
line will produce different crusts.

Here is the recipe I use for making rye bread.

Sandwich Rye Bread

I have made many loafs of Rye bread and never one that I liked.  King
Arthur flour www.kingarthurflour.com has came out with 4 or 5 new
products for making rye bread.  So I figured I would try again.  I
took a recipe out of their catalog and changed it slightly to
coincide with what I had on hand.   The bread came out truly
wonderful.  It is good as a stand alone and made fantastic ham
sandwiches.  The KA in the ingredients stands for King Arthur.   You
must purchase these two ingredients from them.

2 1/4 tsp. Yeast
3  cups Bread Flour
1  cup KA Rye Blend Flour
2  Tbls KA Rye bread Improver
1  Tbls Gluten
2  Tbls Molasses
1 1/4 cups water water
2  Tbs Dried minced Onion
1  Tbls whole caraway seeds
2  teas Salt
2  Tbls Olive Oil

Place all the ingredients in the pan of your bread machine in the
order listed by the manufacture.  Program for basic bread and press start.

Check the dough after a few minutes and make sure it is firm and
slightly sticky.  If not add flour or water to fix the problem.