Bread in France

"Andreas Wagner" <andreas.wagner@wanadoo.fr>
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:48:39 +0100
v107.n033.9
Hello,

France 2 television ran an interesting programme last night, about
people trying to make better bread in France.  A few familiar names
came up such as Poilane and others which were new to me, Frederic
Lalos, Eric Keyser and Steven Kaplan.  There was also mention of an
outfit called "Les Troublions du Gout", who visit all the bakeries in
Paris tasting baguette and croissant au beurre and then grading them
on the quality of their service and goods.

You can watch the programme on the net at:
<http://envoye-special.france2.fr/emissions/36249420-fr.php> go to
the bottom of the page and click on "Voir ou revoir ce
reportage".  Even if you don't speak French it's an interesting one
to watch.  Eric Keyser on his "levain" and developing speciality
bread, Steven Kaplan on improving the bread served in restaurants,
Frederic Lalos on the quality of flour and visiting his miller and
their cereal farmers.....

The Troublions du Gout have a website about bread at
<http://www.vivelepain.fr/> - the bread awards and ratings seem a
little outdated, but might still be useful to those of us visiting
Paris in search of good bread.

Happy baking,
Andreas

For great holiday accommodation in the south of France visit our
website at http://www.midihideaways.com