Re: pizza stones

David A Barrett <Dave.Barrett@lawpro.ca>
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 11:40:27 -0400
v107.n027.8
Jacque,

I really can't think of any reason that you want to move a hot pizza
stone around!  Leave it in the oven until it is cooled.

If you are making pizza, the best thing you should get is a
peel.  It's one of those giant wooden paddles that you use to slide
the pizza in and out of the oven.  If you don't have a peel, here's
what I'd do.  Turn a cookie sheet upside down.  Lay a piece of
parchment paper on it, and then lay your dough out on that.  Build
the pizza and then slide the parchment paper with the pizza on it
onto the hot pizza stone in the oven.  The parchment paper will have
minimal impact on the cooking of the crust, but avoids the problem of
having all the pepperoni and mushrooms tumbling all over the stove as
you jiggle the cookie sheet to get the dough to slide off.

Use the same cookie sheet to remove the pizza from the
oven.  Sometimes you can just grab a corner of the parchment paper,
and sometimes you need to stab the crust with a fork to get a grip on
it, then just pull it forward onto the cookie sheet.

QED.

If you're baking bread, just sprinkle a little cornmeal or cream of
wheat on the stone just before you add the bread, then just plop the
dough down on it.  When it's done, just pick it up with oven
mits.  Leave the stone in the oven, even if you are going to cook
other stuff.  It won't hurt.

Dave Barrett