Re: Rosemary no-knead bread

FMTZ@aol.com
Sun, 5 Aug 2007 21:57:34 EDT
v107.n027.3
"Lorna Lippes" <llippes@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I've  been trying without great success to make a rosemary no-knead
>bread, but the flavor is not as intense as the commercial loaves I
>adore. I have tried adding about 1 Tbsp of fresh finely chopped
>rosemary and I also experimented with 1 Tbsp of rosemary infused
>olive oil added to the dough.  Any suggestions?

My rosemary breads tend to have about double the amount of fresh
rosemary than is mentioned by LL above. Also, fresh rosemary can vary
a great deal in pungency. Do you grow it yourself (usually very
pungent) or buy the kind that comes prepackaged and tends to have
stiff, not very pungent leaves? If the latter you might need to
triple the amount -say 3 TBS or one TBS. per cup of flour. Also, if
you really want a blast of rosemary flavor, don't chop the leaves too
fine. The flavor will still be there but a very fine chop will give
you a hint of rosemary rather than a 'blast'.

Frank Metzger