Placement of stone in oven

Gloria <glorialinnell@yahoo.com>
Wed, 2 May 2007 07:55:13 -0700 (PDT)
v107.n021.3
Allen Cohn asked what others do regarding placement of pizza
stones--high or low?  When I started baking all my family's bread in
1977, I read Beard on Bread and followed James Beard's suggestion for
placing six unglazed, brick-colored "quarry tiles" on the bottom rack
of my electric range.  (The sketch in the book shows the tiles on the
bottom rack, but he references sometimes placing a pan of boiling
water on the rack below to create steam.)  I found that the tiles did
such a great job of diffusing the heat from the heating element, that
I left the tiles in permanently.  No more dark spots on cookies and
muffins!  I have since replaced the tiles with a pizza stone.  It
does take the oven longer to reach the desired temperature than
without tiles/stone, but the results are worth it.

Gloria Linnell