Stretching dough

"Doug Essinger-Hileman" <greypilgrim@interior-castle.org>
Tue, 29 May 2007 06:23:52 -0400
v107.n019.4
On 29 May 2007 at 6:11, bread-bakers-sender@lists.bread-bakers.co wrote:

Dave Glaze <daveglaze@shaw.ca> wrote:
>yguaba@yahoo.com.br wrote:
>>if you somehow managed to turn and fold the dough during bulk
>>fermentation without lots of flour on the counter and on the dough
>>itself, no problem. In fact, you should let us know how you did it!
>
>I manage to stretch and fold wet dough without flour on an arborite
>counter. I wet my hands and wipe them over the counter a couple of
>times (no puddles though), then place the dough on the counter and
>stretch and fold it.  I keep a scraper handy in case it sticks, but
>this seldom happens.

(Sorry about the slow reply, here. We just moved from Ohio to
Pennsylvania, and I've been lax in my email habits.)

I had no "problems" stretching and folding this very wet dough, on a
wood cutting board. I used no flour in the process, relying on my
clumsy approximation of a method I read about (perhaps in Maggie
Glezer's book, perhaps in another). After wetting my hands, I picked
up the dough with both hands, stretched it, then flung it, more or
less, in the direction I wanted it to go. After a bit, I abandoned
the process of wetting my hands, as the dough came off my hands with
relative ease.

Doug