Carrot Crescents

"Ken Vaughan" <kvaughan@acsalaska.net>
Sun, 1 Apr 2007 10:25:47 -0800
v107.n012.4
>Ken, do you have the recipt for the ...
>
>    "carrot crescent rolls are the most memorable."
>Ken in Juneau
>
>    thanks
>    Linda

Linda --

Here is the one we use.  Source is unknown at this time as I have
been making these for about 20 years.

* Exported from MasterCook *

                             Tender Yeast Bread

Recipe By     :Cooking Light
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : American                        Favorites
                 Grains

   2           packages  Dry Yeast
   1         tablespoon  Sugar
   1 1/2           cups  Warm Water
   6               cups  Bread Flour Divided
      1/2           cup  Dry Milk -- Instant Preferred
      1/4           cup  Vegetable Oil
      1/4           cup  Honey
   1 1/2            tsp  Salt
   1                egg  Lightly Beaten
                         Vegetable Cooking Spray

Dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water and let stand 5 minutes
(yeast should be bubbling).

Add 2 cups flour and next 5 ingredients and stir well.  Stir in 3
more cups of flour as need.

Add flour while kneading until a smooth textured dough results.

Place dough in a bowl coated with cooking spray.  Spray the surface
of the dough (this keeps the surface from drying out and getting a
crust while the bread rises).

Let the bread rise for about an hour.  Shape as appropriate for use.

This recipe is used as the basis for several other breads

                                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Carrot Crescents

Recipe By     :Cooking Light
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Favorites

   4               cups  Water
   1 1/2           cups  Coarsely Shredded Carrot
                         Tender Yeast Bread
   1           teaspoon  Vanilla Extract
   2          teaspoons  Honey
   1                egg  White Lightly Beaten
   2          teaspoons  Sesame Seeds -- Toasted Optional

Bring water to boil in a saucepan and add carrot.  Cook for 1
minute.  Drain the carrots and place them on paper towels.  Cover
with additional paper towels and squeeze out moisture until barely
moist.  Set aside.

Prepare tender yeast bread adding carrot and vanilla in with the dry
milk powder.  After first rising, punch the dough down and turn out
on a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes (the
resting allows the gluten to "relax" and the dough softens).

Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. (I use a knife to cut the
lump of dough in half and the halves into quarters).  Roll each 1/4
into a 12 inch circle on a lightly floured surface.  Cut each circle
into 12 wedges.  Roll each wedge beginning at the widest end and
rolling to the point.  Place the rolls, point side down on a baking
sheet which has been coated with baking spray. (about 2 inches
apart).  Let rise about 30 minutes or until double in bulk.

Combine honey and egg whites with a whisk.  Brush over the rolls
(lightly so you do not flatten them) and sprinkle with the seeds if
desired.  Bake in 350 F oven for 18 minutes or until golden.  Makes 4
dozen (82 calories).

                                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Raspberry Pecan Tea Ring

Recipe By     :Cooking Light
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : American                        Grains

                         Tender Yeast Bread
   10                oz  Frozen Raspberry in lt syrup, thawed
                         (1 pkg)
      1/4           cup  Plus 2 Tbs Brown Sugar, Firmly Packed
                         Packed Brown Sugar
   2                tbs  Plus 2 Tsp Corn Starch Or Arrowroot Powder
      1/2           cup  Finely Chopped Toasted Pecans
      1/4           cup  Plus 2 Tbs Powered Sugar
   1 1/2            tsp  Skim Milk
      1/4      teaspoon  Vanilla Extract

Use tender yeast bread, let rise the first time, punch down and turn
out on a floured surface and let rest 10 minutes.

Press raspberries through a sieve reserving 3/4 cup plus 2
tablespoons of the juice.  Discard the seeds. Combine the reserved
juice (and pulp) with the brown sugar and cornstarch in a small
pan.  Heat to boiling, stirring well.  Boil for 1 minute, pour into a
bowl and let cool.

Divide the dough into two equal portions.  Roll each portion into an
18 by 12 inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Spread 1/2 of
the raspberry filling evenly over the surface leaving a 1/2 inch
margin around the edges.  Sprinkle with 1/2 of the pecans.  Roll the
dough starting on the long side (to get a 18 inch long roll) pinching
the seams to seal.  Place on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking
spray with the seam side down, bringing the ends together to form a ring.

Using a kitchen shears or large scissors, cut slits 1 inch apart from
the outside leaving about  1/2 inch of the center uncut.  Cover and
let rise in a warm place (85 F) until doubled -- 45 minutes.

Bake at 350 F until golden brown, about 20 minutes.  Cool on wire
racks.  Mix glaze of remaining ingredients and drizzle over the rings.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0%
calories from fat); 0g Protein; trace Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 0mg Sodium.

NOTES : Raspberry Pie Filling Can Be Substituted For The Filling
Instead Of The Cooked Version In The Recipe.

Penzeys Raspberry Enlightment is made for this recipe!!!

Ken in Juneau