Making better "kid bread"

"Ken Vaughan" <kvaughan@acsalaska.net>
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 07:36:05 -0800
v107.n010.2
I have to respond, with a big grin on my face, remembering when we
had kids at home and the comments about the home baked bread.  I was
never able, nor tried to replicate Wonder Bread.  I did and still do
make mostly whole grain loaded breads.

I was able to make a pretty good soft white bread that was popular
with the kids using potato breads.  Both use of potato water,
leftover potatoes, instant mashed potato, or potato flour all
worked.  This was done as an occasional treat.

Use of a little more oil will likely keep the bread texture better a
little longer.

I tend to use bread flours and add gluten flour (Bob's Red Mill is
available here in Juneau) to get reduced crumbly factor.  If you are
using whole grain flours, the extra strength of the gluten flour helps.

I only get to make bread about once a month now (I had weight loss
surgery about 6 months ago and bread in small quintiles is now a rare
treat) and slice and freeze it (with wax paper between slices), so
the standard whole grain rich hearth breads are mostly what is made
as that is what my wife prefers.  The Freezer will keep the bread
from going stale as fast.

By the way -- the kids still remember the homemade breads and the
whole grain ones or the carrot crescent rolls are the most memorable.

Ken in Juneau