Re: no-knead

FMTZ@aol.com
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:24:16 EST
v107.n007.2
_aqn@panix.com_ wrote:
>*   I used 3/8 tsp of SAF instant yeast, instead of 1/2 tsp.  For
>me, this quantity of yeast produces more reliable  results.

Actually the original recipe (and the video) calls for 1/4 tsp.
instant yeast. Also, the given weight for bread flour is usually 5.5  ounces.

Also, whatever the proportion of water to flour called for in the
recipe, this very wet dough still has to be manageable. In the video
you can see that it is more solid than the proportions in the recipe
would suggest. When you mix this dough you have to (as is always the
case) consider the humidity in your work space as well as the water
content of your flour.

After the 18 or so hour rising, and the fifteen minutes allowed after
the "two or three" envelope type folds, the dough should be
manageable -- that is it should be possible to form it into a ball
without having it stick all over everything. If its too sticky add a
little flour at a time until you can form it into a nice rounded
ball.No harm will result!.

I find that the idea of putting the dough to rise on a heavily
floured  towel often leaves you with the dough sticking to the towel
(if you use wheat  bran this doesn't apply but wheat bran gives the
finished loaf too bitter a taste to suit me).

I use a square of Reynolds non-stick foil, laid on 1/2 of a towel and
well floured. The dough goes on that, the top gets floured or
cornmealed, covered with oiled Saran wrap and the other half of the towel.

Then I put an upside down colander over the whole thing which acts
sort of like a Banneton and keeps the dough from spreading sideways
too much. I weight the colander down with anything that's handy or
else the dough will lift it out of the way.

I bake for 30 minutes at 450F after preheating at 550F. I use an oval
4 quart Pyrex dish with Glass lid which I seal with a piece of
aluminum foil for added moisture retention.

At the end of 30 minutes I remove the pot from the oven (carefully -
its hot!) and remove the loaf from the pot and finish baking it for
25 - 30 minutes directly on my baking stone.

I then shut off the oven, but leave the bread in with the door ajar
for at least 3 hours.

The result is a perfectly crispy crusted artesinal loaf, with big
holes and excellent flavor. Sometimes I cut the 15.5 ounces of bread
flour to 14 ounces and add 1.5 ounces of rye flour. That gives the
bread added body and  flavor galore.

Happy Baking!!

Frank